1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on maths

1. Aug 12, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have searched all over the site to see if I am repeating a question, but I don't believe that I am.

So I am currently in the life sciences, but I am switching to physical sciences to do a graduate degree in one year. The program, obviously, recommends that I have decent knowledge of ordinary differential equations.

I love maths, but will admit that my formal training is not up to that of a physical scientist's. My goal is to teach myself, as much as possible, ODEs and review my multivariable calculus from a few years ago.

I am trying to decide how best to do this. Should I do MIT open course material on multivariable calc and ODEs? Should I just work through an ODE text book? Or, should I go the more applied route and use a techniques book that covers everything from Laplace transforms to line integrals (for example, Mathematical techniques, Jordan and Smith)?

In an ideal world, I would learn the pure maths and then how to apply it because I want a deep understanding of the subjects. However, I only have so much time (I work full-time). Would it be smarter for me to just jump into an applications book?

I hope my question is clear. But please ask, I would love to clarify anything.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I hope you are all well.

Ryan

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Aug 13, 2014 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook