Advice on next steps

  • Other
  • Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • #1
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
1,815
914
Hi everyone!

I am currently in a bit of a predicament and would like to have some feedback from all of you. I have been working on a lucrative full-time contract job which is set to end by the end of this year, but I suspect that my contract may not be renewed due to less work than was originally forecast. Due to this, I've been applying to various places.

I've interviewed at several companies, and I have just heard back today from one contractor of a part-time short-term (but well-paid) is available (with the potential for a full-time job), and they want to know by next week when and whether I will be available. At the same time, I have a round of second interviews coming up this Thursday for a full-time permanent position with one company and for another company next Monday.

The truth is that I feel that I have a strong chance of getting an offer from one or both of these positions, but I already have an offer for the (part-time) position. Is it acceptable for me to accept the part-time position, and then immediately quit when the full-time offer becomes available? Or is this unacceptable?

I really appreciate any opinions that any of you may have on this regard.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
berkeman
Mentor
59,011
9,107
Is it acceptable for me to accept the part-time position, and then immediately quit when the full-time offer becomes available? Or is this unacceptable?
For me personally, I would make it clear that I'm only available on a month-to-month basis for the first 6 months or so (to let the other job offers sort out). What is the nature of this work? Is it easily transferable from person-to-person (from you to whoever takes over for you when you leave), or is continuity needed? I know that at my engineering work, continuity is important, and we invest a LOT of extra work training up new engineers...
 
  • #3
Joshy
Gold Member
315
133
Can you afford risk? It sounds like you're more interested in the potential offers rather than what you have right now; however: It's less risky if you accept the current offer at the cost of not the most ideal opportunity I've been told to take caution in accepting first offers, or maybe you can ask them for more time- don't waste their time either!
 
  • #4
Päällikkö
Homework Helper
519
11
I would let the companies that you're still interviewing for know that you have an offer elsewhere and that you'd like to expedite the process. If they can't make it move fast enough, you can tell the company that you already have an offer from that you are still in last round interviews elsewhere and need more time to consider the offer. Now it's going to depend on the field and whatnot, but often it is not easy to find suitable candidates for highly skilled jobs, so not only have I found hiring managers very flexible, but it also plays to your advantage in salary negotiations when you say and can prove that you have multiple offers. It's not like anyone in a competitive market and when the candidate is forced to move to a new job, thinks that their company alone is so special that you only applied there, anyway.
 
  • #5
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
3,294
2,459
The truth is that I feel that I have a strong chance of getting an offer from one or both of these positions, but I already have an offer for the (part-time) position. Is it acceptable for me to accept the part-time position, and then immediately quit when the full-time offer becomes available? Or is this unacceptable?

I really appreciate any opinions that any of you may have on this regard.
I tend to think this depends on the fine print in the contract as well as the laws of the state that govern the contract.

But generally I'm not cool with accepting a position (as if you'll definitely show up) but really planning to bail on it if you get a better offer.

When you get the verbal offer, you could express that you are favorably inclined to accept, but don't offer a firm acceptance until you get the offer in writing and have a chance to review it. This both buys some time and lets you see the terms of the written contract if you have not already.
 
  • #6
1,869
1,060
dont burn bridges, you may be back talking to any or all of these companies in a few years.
 

Related Threads on Advice on next steps

Replies
8
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
9
Views
1K
Replies
23
Views
6K
Replies
9
Views
1K
Replies
15
Views
23K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
3K
Top