1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on Quantum Mechanics Textbook

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    I have a fairly specific question regarding two quantum mechanics textbooks.

I am taking a third year quantum mechanics course at the University of Toronto (PHY356) and I am trying to decide which textbook to purchase. Last year I took an introductory quantum mechanics course in which we covered material up to solutions of the three dimensional TISE, orbital angular momentum, spin angular momentum etc.

For this course I took last year, we used the book https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mech...sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316057012&sr=1-1". The textbook was pretty terrible and useless for the course (I don't mean the text was terrible, I mean for the purposes of doing well in the course it was terrible, like doing problems etc.) I still have this text and probably will not get rid of it, so I don't want to waste money on a textbook which will serve the same purpose.

Anyways for the course I am taking now, the professor is using https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Approach-Quantum-Mechanics/dp/1891389130/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top" He said that he will not be following the order of the book very much, but the topics he is covering seem to line up pretty well with the names of sections in the book. This is essentially the "required" text.

He also recommends the book https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Q...ankar/dp/0306447908/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"

I only want to get one of these books but I am unsure which one to get. In terms of an investment, the book by Shankar looks much more valuable, and seems to be very popular. I also like this book as it uses the dirac notation (which I am new to and B&D does not use) extensively and it also seems to be quite rigorous with its math (something I appreciate a lot). I have also heard that the practice problems are pretty decent. In this sense, I feel that it may also be a good basic QM book to have down the road.

On the other hand, the material I will need to know for this course will probably be most similar to the material covered in the Townsend book. Unfortunately, I do not know as much about this text and am afraid of buying it in case it ends up just sitting on my shelf like the B&J text.

TLDR: Which textbook between "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar and "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend will be a better textbook to invest in for the long term? (or which one do you prefer and why?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted