Advice on reading an entire physics textbook in one semester

In summary: You'll get way more out of it, especially from working the...material and practicing problems, if you're aiming to major in physics.
fissifizz
Hey everyone. I'm a senior in high school who is taking AP Physics C, and I love physics. I've already known pretty much everything in Physics C (apart from some calculus derivations in E&M) from self-study, and I've studied astronomy and astrophysics a lot throughout high school as well. I've luckily been accepted to Stanford, and I might major in physics (MechE if not), so I thought it would be fun to try and cover everything in my physics textbook this final semester of high school.

We have two textbooks - Physics for Scientists and Engineers (3ed) by Knight and Physics for Scientists and Engineers (5ed) by Paul Tipler. I find Knight's book to have better conceptual explanations, but Tipler seems to be more concise. Both books cover the exact same things though. Which book would you recommend?

I know all the mechanics, most of E&M (just need to review EM waves and AC circuits), fluids, basic optics, and special relativity. I need to cover thermo, the rest of optics, and the rest of relativity and quantum physics (the Knight book has 7 chapters about relativity and quantum physics!). Is this feasible in one semester? If so, do y'all have any specific advice for me?

Also, a friend of mine suggested that I read all the chapters in the textbook, even though I know most of them, to make sure I really solidify all the material and have absolutely no misconceptions. Would this be wise or a waste of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
fissifizz said:
Hey everyone. I'm a senior in high school who is taking AP Physics C, and I love physics. I've already known pretty much everything in Physics C (apart from some calculus derivations in E&M) from self-study, and I've studied astronomy and astrophysics a lot throughout high school as well. I've luckily been accepted to Stanford, and I might major in physics (MechE if not), so I thought it would be fun to try and cover everything in my physics textbook this final semester of high school.

We have two textbooks - Physics for Scientists and Engineers (3ed) by Knight and Physics for Scientists and Engineers (5ed) by Paul Tipler. I find Knight's book to have better conceptual explanations, but Tipler seems to be more concise. Both books cover the exact same things though. Which book would you recommend?

I know all the mechanics, most of E&M (just need to review EM waves and AC circuits), fluids, basic optics, and special relativity. I need to cover thermo, the rest of optics, and the rest of relativity and quantum physics (the Knight book has 7 chapters about relativity and quantum physics!). Is this feasible in one semester? If so, do y'all have any specific advice for me?

Also, a friend of mine suggested that I read all the chapters in the textbook, even though I know most of them, to make sure I really solidify all the material and have absolutely no misconceptions. Would this be wise or a waste of time?

The important thing is that you thoroughly understand mechanics after your first semester of doing real physics at university, so if I were you I'd just read whatever I find interesting to reward myself for doing well enough at HS to get into Stanford ;).

Wminus said:
The important thing is that you thoroughly understand mechanics after your first semester of doing real physics at university, so if I were you I'd just read whatever I find interesting to reward myself for doing well enough at HS to get into Stanford ;).

Haha, thanks! I guess I'll go ahead and read the topics I haven't yet covered. Super excited for what my textbook has on quantum and relativity!

Your time would be better spent practicing harder problems from mechanics and E&M rather than just reading sections about things those books don't cover very well.

Student100 said:
Your time would be better spent practicing harder problems from mechanics and E&M rather than just reading sections about things those books don't cover very well.

Hmm, you really think so? I guess I might try to do both with the time I have, especially in summer.

fissifizz said:
Hmm, you really think so? I guess I might try to do both with the time I have, especially in summer.

Yes. Most assuredly.

Since you're going to Standford and might major in physics I would actually purchase K&K https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521198119/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Purcell https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1107014026/?tag=pfamazon01-20 at this point and begin working through them. Along with something like Apostol calculus. I believe the first edition of this is now free online. Dont purchase the second edition, it's highway robbery. Or if you find the old first edition its not too bad as far as price is concerned.

You'll get way more out of it, especially from working the problems.

Likes fissifizz
Student100 said:
Yes. Most assuredly.

Since you're going to Standford and might major in physics I would actually purchase K&K https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521198119/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Purcell https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1107014026/?tag=pfamazon01-20 at this point and begin working through them. Along with something like Apostol calculus. I believe the first edition of this is now free online. Dont purchase the second edition, it's highway robbery. Or if you find the old first edition its not too bad as far as price is concerned.

You'll get way more out of it, especially from working the problems.

Wow, the reviews are fantastic! I'm definitely going to get them! I need to shop around for some better prices, though (or look through the dark web hehe). Seriously, this is awesome. Thank you!

Apostol calculus looks like an awful book for a physicist or engineer; lots of arcane, useless formalism, much less of an emphasis on practical application.

Crass_Oscillator said:
Apostol calculus looks like an awful book for a physicist or engineer; lots of arcane, useless formalism, much less of an emphasis on practical application.

That's about as far from the truth as possible.

Student100 said:
That's about as far from the truth as possible.
Find a course on this list whose syllabus requires or even recommends Apostol:
http://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofengineering/mechanicalengineering/#bachelorstext

Find a course on this list whose syllabus requires or even recommends Apostol:
http://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofhumanitiesandsciences/physics/#bachelorstext

OP:
Apostol is a book intended for the math department. It's intended to be for pre-Analysis students. If you are considering the math department route, consider getting it. If you are not, then it's main use to you will be as a paper weight.

Reading is fine but I'd try to put as much time as possible on problem-solving. I've found reading to be too passive for just about everyone when trying to learn physics. Make the ratio of solving problems to reading as large as you can.

I also second the recommendation for K & K, a few years ago I came to this forum looking for a better textbook that was more challenging. That book changed my view on physics and physics problems, it's great.

Likes symbolipoint and fissifizz
OP:
Apostol is a book intended for the math department. It's intended to be for pre-Analysis students. If you are considering the math department route, consider getting it. If you are not, then it's main use to you will be as a paper weight.

Really, now you're reviewing a book... without having read it?

Sweet, yes OP... he definitely knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:

Student100 said:
Really, now you're reviewing a book... without having read it?

Sweet, yes OP... he definitely knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:
Speaking of not reading, I see you still haven't found a course a Stanford engineering or physics student is recommended to take that would use Apostol.

Crass_Oscillator said:
Speaking of not reading, I see you still haven't found a course a Stanford engineering or physics student is recommended to take that would use Apostol.
Why don't we just ask Tom? Heres a picture from my crumbling dust cover... Funny how he mentions all those examples that stress applications, which I guess don't exist?

Attachments

• 20170220_104316.jpg
    20170220_104316.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 410
fissifizz said:

Whichever one you prefer. There's no right answer. I find some of Knight's explanations needlessly wordy. And he doesn't always get them right, either.

Mister T said:
Whichever one you prefer. There's no right answer. I find some of Knight's explanations needlessly wordy. And he doesn't always get them right, either.

Yeah, I've felt that way during the time I've spent reading chapters from Knight's book. But while he can be really wordy, Tipler sometimes lacks clear and precise explanations. I guess they're both not perfect books at the end of the day, but hopefully they can at least introduce me to more advanced topics while I continue solidifying my foundation in mechanics and E&M with the books Student100 recommended.

These books, even used, can be a bit pricey, so I might lay off of getting that Apostol book for now. I'll definitely keep it in mind though!

Crush1986 said:
Reading is fine but I'd try to put as much time as possible on problem-solving. I've found reading to be too passive for just about everyone when trying to learn physics. Make the ratio of solving problems to reading as large as you can.

I also second the recommendation for K & K, a few years ago I came to this forum looking for a better textbook that was more challenging. That book changed my view on physics and physics problems, it's great.

Point taken. I'll admit, it takes much more effort to solve problems than to just read, but I know it's absolutely necessary. Thank you!

fissifizz said:
Yeah, I've felt that way during the time I've spent reading chapters from Knight's book. But while he can be really wordy, Tipler sometimes lacks clear and precise explanations. I guess they're both not perfect books at the end of the day, but hopefully they can at least introduce me to more advanced topics while I continue solidifying my foundation in mechanics and E&M with the books Student100 recommended.

These books, even used, can be a bit pricey, so I might lay off of getting that Apostol book for now. I'll definitely keep it in mind though!

Apostol is free online, I believe legally, since the copyright appears to expired. Physical older first editions can be had for not too much. It is the next logically step after high school calculus for those interested in the physical sciences and engineering.

You only have so much time between now and then, you want to get the most bang for your buck that will make the transition to university as painless as possible. Good luck.

Likes fissifizz
fissifizz said:

Look for older editions. Knight, 2nd edition is just as good as the 1st edition and you can get it for just a couple of dollars, plus shipping. You can also visit professor's offices and ask for older editions. They will be glad to get rid of the clutter.

fissifizz said:
Yeah, I've felt that way during the time I've spent reading chapters from Knight's book.

He's a bit messy about the distinction between weight and gravitational force. He's very messy when it comes to the concept of thermal energy. Most physics books get these two concepts messed up in one way or another. There's no consensus on the right way to describe the physics.

Mister T said:
Look for older editions. Knight, 2nd edition is just as good as the 1st edition and you can get it for just a couple of dollars, plus shipping. You can also visit professor's offices and ask for older editions. They will be glad to get rid of the clutter.

Oh, I was referring to the books that Student100 recommended. My school has already provided me with Knight (3ed) and Tipler (5ed) for our physics class.

1. How can I stay organized while reading an entire physics textbook in one semester?

One strategy for staying organized is to create a schedule for yourself and stick to it. Decide how many pages or chapters you need to read each week and mark them off as you go. You can also use sticky notes or flashcards to keep track of important concepts or equations.

2. Is it possible to read an entire physics textbook in one semester?

It is definitely possible, but it will require dedication and time management. Make sure to prioritize your reading and set aside regular study sessions. It may also be helpful to break up the textbook into smaller sections and focus on one at a time.

3. How can I retain the information I read in a physics textbook?

One effective way to retain information is to actively engage with the material as you read. This could include taking notes, summarizing key points, or solving practice problems. It is also important to review and revisit previous material to reinforce your understanding.

4. What are some helpful resources for understanding difficult concepts in a physics textbook?

If you are struggling with a particular concept, it can be helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials, study groups, or asking your professor for clarification. You could also try explaining the concept to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.

5. How can I balance reading a physics textbook with other coursework and responsibilities?

To balance your reading with other responsibilities, it may be helpful to create a study schedule that incorporates dedicated time for reading the textbook. Prioritize your tasks and make sure to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout. It is also important to communicate with your professors and prioritize your coursework accordingly.