1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on Summer Schedule

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    I will be registering soon for the upcoming Summer semester and I'm wondering if it is wise to take the following courses in the summer:

Physics 1 with Lab
    Chemistry 2 with Lab

I think it would be wiser to take these courses over the summer

African American History
    Chemistry 2 with Lab

and then take both Calculus 2 and Physics (along with other courses) in the Fall semester. I've been advised to go with the first option. Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2
    Well, if you're doing a science degree, I don't see the point of African American History; and even more so, if it's Biology based (as your username seems to suggest) why Physics, though I can just about understand Chemistry...

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    The school I attend requires that I take a course in African American history. In addition, I've made the informed decisions to pursue physics rather than biochemistry.

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by wise. Do you mean in terms of workload? Or in terms of what would be more advantageous to have completed for someone starting a physics degree?

Summer courses tend to be intense - covering the same material over a shorter time span. Some people like this intensity. They can take one or two courses and focus on them, learning the material in more depth than they would otherwise. Others stuggle.

You also have to factor in whatever else you're doing for the summer. Two full courses will probably keep you from working full time. Not to mention, summer is a good time to explore your own interests outside of school and maybe enjoy life a little.

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5

eri

I'm trying to get a summer course filled up for this year. It's going to meet for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 5 weeks. It's an intro physics with lab course. It's a very demanding schedule - I have to assign hours of reading and homework each day just to stay caught up, with weekly exams. It's really not a good idea to take two of these at a time - that would mean 6 hours of classwork and labs a day, with easily an additional 6 hours of homework each night.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook