1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on Two Online Degrees

1. Aug 22, 2015 #1
    Greetings,

I'm considering two online degrees: the University of Waterloo's 3-year BSc in Science and the Open University's BSc (Honours) in Natural Science. Which is more prestigious, thorough (I want intensive),...

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

An honest answer? Neither.

4. Aug 22, 2015 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What will your experiences be through either of these two degrees? What will you know how to do? What equipment will you learn to operate? What laboratory training will you have? What materials will you handle? What organisms will you cultivate and what testing will be performed on/about them?

5. Aug 22, 2015 #4
    I've advanced Lou Gehrig's disease and am unable to attend a university. I simply want to learn.

6. Aug 22, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You could always self-study the material. It'll save you quite some money.

7. Aug 22, 2015 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, self study in is case is probably better.

8. Aug 23, 2015 #7
    Thanks, but I've been studying alone for ten years; I'm ready to be part of a "community".

9. Aug 23, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, if that's worth thousands of dollars to you, then go ahead.

10. Aug 23, 2015 #9

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to sound crass, but would you even survive long enough to finish the degree? ALS has a about 2-5 year life expectancy on average, if you're already at an advanced stage then what are your doctors saying? Obviously it's variable, but the debt to go to school might not be something you want to leave behind.

If it means that much to you go ahead, getting a bachelors won't make you part of the "community." Also, if you're going to do it, why not attended university? Disability never stopped anyone from attending before, you'll be accommodated, and it would probably be a better experience all around. At least that way you'll be interacting with real people, not just sitting in front of a computer all day.

11. Aug 23, 2015 #10
    OP never said that he wanted to get a degree. He wants to learn physics.

12. Aug 23, 2015 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's not what he said.

However, I am puzzled why "prestige" matters.

13. Aug 24, 2015 #12
    If you sign up for a degree program with the OU, you will have to start with level 1 courses which are quite elementary - they are designed for students without a solid high school background. To get an intensive study experience, you might be able to take some level 2/3 modules on a standalone basis.

14. Aug 24, 2015 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It sounds rather contradictory, that you want to be a part of a "community", and yet, you are looking for an online degree course that makes you anything but part of any community.

Since you have indicated this, what exactly are you aiming for? Are you hoping to have a career with such a degree? Have you asked the relevant schools and departments what are the type of employment, and employment rate, of students who graduated with their online degree?

Zz.

15. Aug 24, 2015 #14
    Never mind! I simply wanted to know which institution is better: The University of Waterloo or Open University.

16. Aug 24, 2015 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

University of Waterloo.

17. Aug 24, 2015 #16
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook