Comparing Online Science Degrees: University of Waterloo vs. Open University

• Programs
  • Thread starter Gimblestitch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the University of Waterloo's online degree in Science is more prestigious, thorough, and intensive than the Open University's online degree in Natural Science. However, if you are aiming to have a career with a degree in Natural Science, attending a university is the better option.
Gimblestitch
Greetings,

I'm considering two online degrees: the University of Waterloo's 3-year BSc in Science and the Open University's BSc (Honours) in Natural Science. Which is more prestigious, thorough (I want intensive),...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gimblestitch said:
Greetings,

I'm considering two online degrees: the University of Waterloo's 3-year BSc in Science and the Open University's BSc (Honours) in Natural Science. Which is more prestigious, thorough (I want intensive),...

An honest answer? Neither.

Gimblestitch said:
Greetings,

What will your experiences be through either of these two degrees? What will you know how to do? What equipment will you learn to operate? What laboratory training will you have? What materials will you handle? What organisms will you cultivate and what testing will be performed on/about them?

I've advanced Lou Gehrig's disease and am unable to attend a university. I simply want to learn.

You could always self-study the material. It'll save you quite some money.

Likes Student100 and Gimblestitch
Gimblestitch said:
I've advanced Lou Gehrig's disease and am unable to attend a university. I simply want to learn.

Yes, self study in is case is probably better.

Thanks, but I've been studying alone for ten years; I'm ready to be part of a "community".

Gimblestitch said:
Thanks, but I've been studying alone for ten years; I'm ready to be part of a "community".

Well, if that's worth thousands of dollars to you, then go ahead.

Gimblestitch said:

Not to sound crass, but would you even survive long enough to finish the degree? ALS has a about 2-5 year life expectancy on average, if you're already at an advanced stage then what are your doctors saying? Obviously it's variable, but the debt to go to school might not be something you want to leave behind.

If it means that much to you go ahead, getting a bachelors won't make you part of the "community." Also, if you're going to do it, why not attended university? Disability never stopped anyone from attending before, you'll be accommodated, and it would probably be a better experience all around. At least that way you'll be interacting with real people, not just sitting in front of a computer all day.

Likes symbolipoint
OP never said that he wanted to get a degree. He wants to learn physics.

Dishsoap said:
OP never said that he wanted to get a degree. He wants to learn physics.

That's not what he said.

Gimblestitch said:
I'm considering two online degrees:

However, I am puzzled why "prestige" matters.

Gimblestitch said:
Greetings,

If you sign up for a degree program with the OU, you will have to start with level 1 courses which are quite elementary - they are designed for students without a solid high school background. To get an intensive study experience, you might be able to take some level 2/3 modules on a standalone basis.

Likes Gimblestitch
Gimblestitch said:

It sounds rather contradictory, that you want to be a part of a "community", and yet, you are looking for an online degree course that makes you anything but part of any community.

Since you have indicated this, what exactly are you aiming for? Are you hoping to have a career with such a degree? Have you asked the relevant schools and departments what are the type of employment, and employment rate, of students who graduated with their online degree?

Zz.

Never mind! I simply wanted to know which institution is better: The University of Waterloo or Open University.

University of Waterloo.

micromass said:
University of Waterloo.

Thanks.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing two online degrees simultaneously?

Pursuing two online degrees simultaneously allows individuals to save time and money by completing both degrees at once. It also provides a wider range of knowledge and skill sets, making individuals more competitive in the job market.

2. How can I manage my time effectively while pursuing two online degrees?

Time management is crucial when pursuing two online degrees. Some tips for effective time management include creating a schedule, setting specific goals, and prioritizing tasks. It's also important to communicate with instructors and utilize online resources for support.

3. Can I specialize in two different fields with two online degrees?

Yes, pursuing two online degrees allows individuals to specialize in two different fields. This can be beneficial for individuals who want to expand their knowledge and career opportunities in multiple areas.

4. Are there any challenges to pursuing two online degrees simultaneously?

Yes, there can be challenges in balancing coursework, managing time, and staying motivated while pursuing two online degrees. It's important to have a strong support system and to communicate openly with instructors to overcome these challenges.

5. How can I ensure the quality of education from online degree programs?

It's important to research and carefully select reputable online degree programs. Make sure the program is accredited and has a good track record of producing successful graduates. Additionally, utilize online resources and reach out to alumni to get a better understanding of the program's quality of education.