Advice to incoming students

• Other
  • Thread starter Stephenk53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, the conversation provides advice for incoming students to school, regardless of the level. Some key points include paying attention, staying focused on the end goal, not waiting for others, and making time for personal interests. It is also important to take care of oneself and to challenge oneself, as well as to make mistakes and learn from them. Building a strong CV and asking intelligent questions are also recommended. Additionally, completing all assigned homework and being aware of potential mistakes can be beneficial.
Stephenk53
Hello, what are some advice you think are for incoming students to school, it can be any school level whether it is high school college or otherwise.Personally I would like any advice on what college is like as well as how to make the most of college, but post whatever school related advice you would like to

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Pay attention.
2. Don't forget what you have been paying attention to.
3. Always assume you know less than your instructor.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I'm definitely not a good person to answer. But here’s what I’ve learned anyway…..

1) You can do anything you want. Take initiative. If you sincerely want to do something that will be of benefit to you, then do it.

2) Don't lose focus of your final goal. Don't forget what the end result is. Some days, weeks, and months with suck and you’ll want to just...stop. Don’t. Think logically.

Similarly, don’t get carried away with sudden spasms of motivation and energy. It’d be like getting a runner’s high. Until you crash. Slow down. Think logically.

3) Don’t wait for anyone.

4) Don’t go to office hours unless you have to! :oldsmile:

Last edited:
ProfuselyQuarky said:
3) Don’t wait for anyone.

I hope you never have to mentor anyone as you pursue your studies, this is terrible advice when you are mentoring someone.
ProfuselyQuarky said:

NO.

Likes member 587159
Dishsoap said:
I hope you never have to mentor anyone as you pursue your studies, this is terrible advice when you are mentoring someone.
Why, may I ask?

Stephenk53 said:
Hello, what are some advice you think are for incoming students to school, it can be any school level whether it is high school college or otherwise.Personally I would like any advice on what college is like as well as how to make the most of college, but post whatever school related advice you would like to

The series of essay "So You Want To Be A Physicist" was written exactly because of the things I wish someone would have told me before I started college. While it is written specifically for someone intending to major in physics, there are many aspects of it that are applicable for other majors. So if you haven't read it yet, you might want to give it a go.

Zz.

Everyone is a little bit different in how they best learn, but here are a few tips that might prove helpful.
  1. Do as much as you can to understand the big picture with respect to your education. It's easy to get swamped by the minutia, keep your head down, work hard and hope that everything works out in the end, but this tends to result in people coming out the other end of their undergraduate years with a lot more uncertainty than they figured on. In general, a university degree will give you an education, but in most cases it's not actually vocational training. To this end, think hard about the courses you decide to take and what you're getting out of them. And re-assess where everything fits into the big picture every once in a while.
  2. Take good care of yourself. Get the sleep you need. Eat properly. Exercise. Socialize and make conscious decisions about who you socialize with. Give yourself quality down time. University can be very challenging. It's best to meet these challenges feeling healthy and energized.
  3. Challenge yourself. It's rare that anyone gets a second chance at university, and you don't want to be on the other side wondering if you could have done more. The caveat to this of course is learn to recognize your limits too.
  4. Make mistakes and learn from them.
  5. Make time to read up on your own interests. It's easy to get swamped with the things that you *have* to do. But it's also important to make sure that you're still taking the time to read up on the things that got you interested in the subject you're studying in the first place. This helps to maintain your motivation and can do a lot to put your studies in context.
  6. Build you CV. Work part-time and summer jobs or take volunteer positions so that when you finish, you'll have an experience base to make decisions on and some non-academic skills to help you find or build a career.
  7. Ask intelligent questions. Chances are, if you've really sat down and thought about something and it still doesn't make sense, there are a lot of other people in the same boat.

Dr. Courtney said:
Do all the assigned homework.
That is not always enough.

A little bit of specific advise.

If something doesn't work out, you should know where your mistake lies. Knowing what can go wrong, and what is to be avoided, can spare you tremendous amounts of time.

Dr. Courtney said:
Do all the assigned homework.
symbolipoint said:
That is not always enough.

Consider it a necessary but not sufficient condition.

Vanadium 50 said:
Consider it a necessary but not sufficient condition.

Yes, doing all the homework is a necessary but not sufficient condition. But there is a short list of things that are absolutely necessary, and this is one of them. In high school physics, doing the assignments and following the attendance policy is just about all most students will need to do. College is harder and requires more in many Physics courses - taking careful notes, studying for exams, getting help from the professors or tutoring center, etc. But in high school, most of the things that one needs to take initiative to do in college actually ARE usually assigned - reading sections in the book before they are covered in class, chapter review problems in preparation for a test, etc.

I guess my main point is that my experience with this generation is that when asking for advice, they are often looking for a work around to doing all of the assigned homework. They want a shortcut. I've been teaching Physics since 2002. I've never had a student earn below a B in any high school or introductory college physics course who did all of the assigned homework. Not even once. The sample of students I've interacted with may not be representative, but from 2002 to 2018, the willingness of students to do all the assigned homework has been trending downward. After several years home schooling, my recent return to outside classrooms (volunteering at a nearby school) has been quite disturbing with the wholehearted resistance students present to homework and their expectation to be spoon fed everything they need to know on tests. My interactions with other teachers suggests that this trend is very common.

Endeavor to translate the material into your own words in full, complete sentences (and pictures) in ways that make sense to you.

Likes symbolipoint
I have one bit of advice, which is rarely taken, but which will be the key to your future in any field.
Make sure you go to a school where you will be in the upper half, even if you are accepted to more prestigious schools.
I could give case histories, but the details are not important. As a corollary of this advice, don't go to any graduate school that does not offer you financial support with a fellowship or assistantship. (Unless you are in an unsupportable field.)

Meir Achuz said:
I have one bit of advice, which is rarely taken, but which will be the key to your future in any field.
Make sure you go to a school where you will be in the upper half, even if you are accepted to more prestigious schools.

I disagree with this. You learn from the professors but you also learn from your peers.

Likes Stephenk53, member 587159 and fresh_42

1. What is the most important piece of advice for incoming students?

The most important piece of advice for incoming students is to prioritize your time and stay organized. It can be overwhelming to balance academics, extracurricular activities, and a social life, so creating a schedule and setting realistic goals can help you stay on track.

2. How can incoming students make the most out of their college experience?

Incoming students can make the most out of their college experience by getting involved on campus. Joining clubs and organizations, attending events and workshops, and networking with peers and faculty can help you build valuable skills, make connections, and enhance your overall college experience.

3. What resources are available for incoming students to succeed academically?

Most colleges and universities offer a variety of resources to help incoming students succeed academically. These may include tutoring services, writing centers, study groups, and academic advisors. It is important to familiarize yourself with these resources and utilize them when needed.

4. How can incoming students adjust to the new social and cultural environment of college?

Adjusting to the social and cultural environment of college can be challenging for incoming students. One way to navigate this transition is to be open-minded and willing to meet new people from diverse backgrounds. Also, joining clubs and organizations related to your interests can help you find a sense of community and belonging on campus.

5. What advice do you have for incoming students to maintain a healthy work-life balance?

Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is crucial for incoming students. It is important to prioritize self-care and make time for activities outside of academics, such as exercise, hobbies, and spending time with friends and family. Setting boundaries and learning to say no to excessive obligations can also help you maintain a healthy balance.