Advice with taking math courses

• Courses
  • Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, you should be fine taking the ODE course as long as you have a basic understanding of linear algebra.
JG89
Hey guys, I am currently going into my second year at U of T (Toronto).

In my first semester, I have to take a course called "Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations". Its course description is: "First-order equations. Linear equations and first-order systems. Non-linear first-order systems. Existence and uniqueness theorems for the Cauchy problem. Method of power series. Elementary qualitative theory; stability, phase plane, stationary points. Examples of applications in mechanics, physics, chemistry, biology and economics.".

I HAVE to take it first semester, because it isn't offered second semester. The thing is, I haven't taken the pre-requisite for it, Algebra 2, which I was suppose to take last year but couldn't due to other reasons. Here is the course description for Algebra 2: "A theoretical approach to real and complex inner product spaces, isometries, orthogonal and unitary matrices and transformations. The adjoint. Hermitian and symmetric transformations. Spectral theorem for symmetric and normal transformations. Polar representation theorem. Primary decomposition theorem. Rational and Jordan canonical forms. Additional topics including dual spaces, quotient spaces, bilinear forms, quadratic surfaces, multilinear algebra. Examples of symmetry groups and linear groups, stochastic matrices, matrix functions."

Now, the math department doesn't care about pre-requisites. I can take the ODE course first semester and its pre-req, Algebra 2, second semester. Their philosophy is to let us go ahead and take the courses, and if we fail then we fail. I'm just worried about taking the ODE course this coming september, when I haven't covered Algebra 2. I mean, in the month that I have left until September I could try to cover as much as I can, but there's no way I am going to complete it by September. Keep in mind that I need to take the ODE course in September if I want to keep on track with my studies. I will have to stay behind an extra year if I don't take this course.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
JG89 said:
Hey guys, I am currently going into my second year at U of T (Toronto).

In my first semester, I have to take a course called "Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations". Its course description is: "First-order equations. Linear equations and first-order systems. Non-linear first-order systems. Existence and uniqueness theorems for the Cauchy problem. Method of power series. Elementary qualitative theory; stability, phase plane, stationary points. Examples of applications in mechanics, physics, chemistry, biology and economics.".

I HAVE to take it first semester, because it isn't offered second semester. The thing is, I haven't taken the pre-requisite for it, Algebra 2, which I was suppose to take last year but couldn't due to other reasons. Here is the course description for Algebra 2: "A theoretical approach to real and complex inner product spaces, isometries, orthogonal and unitary matrices and transformations. The adjoint. Hermitian and symmetric transformations. Spectral theorem for symmetric and normal transformations. Polar representation theorem. Primary decomposition theorem. Rational and Jordan canonical forms. Additional topics including dual spaces, quotient spaces, bilinear forms, quadratic surfaces, multilinear algebra. Examples of symmetry groups and linear groups, stochastic matrices, matrix functions."

Now, the math department doesn't care about pre-requisites. I can take the ODE course first semester and its pre-req, Algebra 2, second semester. Their philosophy is to let us go ahead and take the courses, and if we fail then we fail. I'm just worried about taking the ODE course this coming september, when I haven't covered Algebra 2. I mean, in the month that I have left until September I could try to cover as much as I can, but there's no way I am going to complete it by September. Keep in mind that I need to take the ODE course in September if I want to keep on track with my studies. I will have to stay behind an extra year if I don't take this course.

What should I do?

IMO you'll be fine either way. From the descriptions you gave, I can't picture you needing anything more than basic liner algebra for your ODE course (although I haven't heard of Elementary qualitative theory, so I can't say for sure).

You should be fine taking differential equations. Some things will seem a bit more mysterious from a conceptual point of view than they would have otherwise, but the only linear algebra used in a first class on differential equations is finding the eigenvalues/eigenvectors of a matrix, which is a very straightforward mechanical process that they will probably teach you in the course anyways (if only as a review). Plus, most students do not yet understand what the significance of eigenthings when they take differential equations anyways! I know I didn't.

1. How can I improve my math skills?

The best way to improve your math skills is to practice regularly. This can include working on problems, completing assignments, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. Additionally, finding real-life applications for math concepts can help solidify your understanding.

2. What should I do if I am struggling with a math course?

If you are struggling with a math course, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. This can include meeting with your teacher or a tutor, joining a study group, or utilizing online resources. It is also important to regularly review and practice the material, and to communicate any concerns with your teacher.

3. How can I stay motivated while taking math courses?

Staying motivated in math courses can be challenging, but setting goals and breaking them down into smaller, achievable tasks can help. Additionally, finding a study partner or joining a study group can provide accountability and support. Remember to also take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work.

4. Is it okay to make mistakes in math courses?

Yes, making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process in math. Instead of getting discouraged, use your mistakes as an opportunity to identify areas for improvement and work towards understanding the concept better. Remember to always review your mistakes and seek help if needed.

5. How can I prepare for a math exam?

To prepare for a math exam, it is important to review all of the material covered in the course and practice solving problems. Make sure you understand the concepts and can apply them to different types of problems. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards, and to get a good night's sleep before the exam.