Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice?

1. Oct 1, 2003 #1
    I'm about to tutor someone in a highschool level chemistry class and this is my first time tutoring, any tips? keep in mind im only 17 and im a student myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2003 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

Patience.

Try to find out what he knows first. I arranged to tutor someone in physics, and had to teach ther how to multiply fractions first.

Homework problems are usually assigned for good reason. Work through them thoroughly. Analyze each step. Even if he does the right thing, ask why. If he thinks he knows a problem, set it aside for a while, then ask him to do it again when he has had time to forget it. This will let you know if he really understands it, or has just memorized the steps to solving it. He will soon recognise more accurately whether he knows something or not.

Njorl

4. Oct 3, 2003 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

work through problems together...don't lecture

teach the process, not the solution (chemisty pun)

5. Oct 3, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tutored my way through the first half of my college career; mostly in chemistry and physics. I think in addition to the good suggestions offered already, I would add that each person has their own unique points of confusion. I always tried to ask questions until I could identify the particular concept causing trouble.

I have had similar experiences. One person simply could not conceive of negative numbers. Another didn't really grasp the meaning of the conservation of energy concept. Others just won't study and they expect you to solve their problems. I had to give the "you have to do your homework" lecture regularly.

6. Oct 5, 2003 #5
    I used to be a teacher and when making a unit or lesson plan, the first thing you want to do is come up with objectives (goals). Once you know the objectives, you can form the lessons around them. If you can't get that information from the student's teacher, the textbook should give a good guideline.

Since the student is in need of tutoring, you'll want to know what skills he/she is lacking. You might talk with the student and ask what problems he/she seems to be having with his/her assignments. Find out where you can focus. Concentrate on the areas that need the most work.

~Sandy

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?