How Can I Improve My Study Habits for Upcoming Exams?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Tzarchasm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise
In summary, the conversation is about a student expressing their concern about not being able to revise or study for upcoming exams and asking for advice on how to do so. They also mention their goal of becoming a doctor and ask for advice on what universities want from students interested in medicine. The conversation ends with a discussion about the difference between "advice" and "advise" and the idea that if a subject is too difficult to learn without massive amounts of revision, it may not be the right fit for the student.
Tzarchasm
Hey all. I've got some serious mocks/exams coming up and I just can't seem to be able to revise/study for them. I'm only 15 and I haven't previously revised at all for any exam (including KS3 and a couple of official GCSE science exams), however still obtaining good grades. Since GCSE is obviously more intense than KS3 and any other previous exams I am worried that if I don't revise or study then I won't obtain the grades that I want.

To the main point, I would really appreciate it if someone can advise me on how to successfully revise and study for these exams which are in a months time. In addition, I would like to be become a doctor therefore if anyone can also give me some advise on what universities want from people relating to medicine that'll be great.

Thank you very much.

~ Tzarchasm.

P.S: Getting confused on whether if it's advise or advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's with a c for a noun. With an s it becomes a verb.

You'll either panic and cram in the last 2 days and do okay or not even go to your exam. If you can't learn the subject without massive amounts of revision it's probably not for you.

You're either feeling it and loving the subject or you're going crazy with stress because you can't do any of it without ****ing up. Even as much as you think you might want to do this subject, it isn't for you if it's a battle the whole time.

There is no such thing as successful revision.

Hi Tzarchasm,

First of all, it's great that you are recognizing the importance of studying and revising for your upcoming exams. It's never too late to start and with a month left, you still have enough time to prepare.

Here are some tips for successful studying and revision:

1. Start by creating a study schedule: This will help you plan out your time effectively and ensure that you cover all the necessary topics before your exams. Make sure to include breaks and time for relaxation in your schedule as well.

2. Understand your learning style: Everyone learns differently, so it's important to figure out what works best for you. Do you prefer visual aids like diagrams and charts? Or do you learn better by listening to lectures or discussing with others? Once you know your learning style, you can tailor your study methods accordingly.

3. Use active learning techniques: Instead of just reading through your notes, try to actively engage with the material. This could include making flashcards, summarizing key points, or teaching the material to someone else.

4. Practice past exam papers: This is a great way to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked in your exams. It also helps you identify any weak areas that you need to focus on.

5. Get enough rest and stay healthy: It's important to take care of your physical and mental health during this time. Make sure to get enough sleep, eat well, and take breaks when needed.

In terms of your goal of becoming a doctor, universities look for a combination of academic excellence, relevant work experience, and extracurricular activities. Make sure to maintain good grades in your science courses and consider volunteering or shadowing experiences in the medical field to demonstrate your interest and dedication.

I hope these tips help and wish you all the best for your exams and future aspirations.

1. How can I improve my study habits?

There are several ways to improve your study habits. First, make sure to have a designated study space that is free from distractions. Also, create a study schedule and stick to it. Take breaks every 45-60 minutes to prevent burnout. Additionally, use active studying techniques such as summarizing, creating flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else.

2. Is it better to study alone or in a group?

It depends on your learning style and the material being studied. If you are an auditory learner, studying in a group and discussing the material may be beneficial. However, if you are a visual learner, studying alone and creating visual aids may be more effective. It is important to also consider the complexity of the material - if it is difficult, studying in a group can provide different perspectives and help clarify concepts.

3. How can I manage my time effectively while studying?

Time management is crucial for successful studying. Start by setting specific goals for each study session and prioritize tasks based on their importance. Break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones. Avoid multitasking and focus on one task at a time. Also, make use of time management tools such as planners or digital calendars to stay organized.

4. How often should I review material for an exam?

It is recommended to review material consistently throughout the semester rather than cramming for an exam. This can include daily or weekly reviews of class notes, quizzes, and homework assignments. Closer to the exam, it is beneficial to do a comprehensive review of all material and practice with past exams or study guides.

5. What can I do if I am feeling overwhelmed with studying and revision?

If you are feeling overwhelmed, it is important to take a step back and assess the situation. Prioritize tasks and break them down into smaller, more manageable chunks. It may also be helpful to seek support from a tutor, study group, or a professor. Take breaks and practice self-care, such as exercising, getting enough sleep, and eating healthy. Remember to stay positive and believe in yourself.