Unsure What to Do: Navigating Advisor Help in Physics Assignments

In summary, the OP's advisor is helping him with physics homework without asking for help in return. This is not appropriate help and the OP is at risk for expulsion.
bjnartowt
Hi all, I have what I think is a strange situation. I am pretty swamped with assignments, and my advisor seems to know this. He insists that I bring questions about physics assignments to him. To date, he's helped me earn full marks on more than a few assignments in a troublesome-class with another professor. He has even done a couple of assignments for me, in full, and told me to turn in his work and claim it as my own credit. I am baffled by this, and floored that he seems to believe in me like that.

What should I do? How should I handle this outpouring of help that my advisor has volunteered to me? I almost feel bad about turning it down, but my grades will and have suffered when I initially turned down his help. I'm also supposed to be a theoretical physicist someday, and should be solving these problems by myself. Comments?

Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, wow, wow, he actually did the work for you? You are one lucky bastard...which university do you go to? I am going there right now.

Ha ha...I figured some people would resent how lucky I am to find an advisor as nice as mine. The problem is: I'm in Minnesota, and people are nice here like, "by default", and they won't say if you're irritating them or not...they just keep being nice. You never know, then, what might creep into a letter of recommendation...and that's what's important in the long run.

My advice is to first off, STOP LETTING HIM DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If he offers, respectfully decline.

Secondly, keep going to him for help if you think he's genuinely interested in helping students with homework questions. Some teachers actually want to help students, I know its a shocker!

bjnartowt said:
Hi all, I have what I think is a strange situation. I am pretty swamped with assignments, and my advisor seems to know this. He insists that I bring questions about physics assignments to him. To date, he's helped me earn full marks on more than a few assignments in a troublesome-class with another professor. He has even done a couple of assignments for me, in full, and told me to turn in his work and claim it as my own credit. I am baffled by this, and floored that he seems to believe in me like that.

What should I do? How should I handle this outpouring of help that my advisor has volunteered to me? I almost feel bad about turning it down, but my grades will and have suffered when I initially turned down his help. I'm also supposed to be a theoretical physicist someday, and should be solving these problems by myself. Comments?

If this is true, both you and your advisor are guilty of fraud. I strongly suggest you get a new advisor, and you take steps to protect yourself. For example, go to the student advising center (for your institution) and have a candid conversation with someone.

I think having him do the assignment for you is a bit much. However, I know a lot of professor don't really care if you seek outside of class help, meaning you can work with who ever you want for homework assignments (other students, tutors, etc). So in my opinion, having him help you through an assignment is not wrong. I'd make sure he really believes in you though, b/c if he writes a letter & it's "generic" or not that great, that may not be a good thing.

kuahji,

The OP said "He has even done a couple of assignments for me, in full, and told me to turn in his work and claim it as my own credit." .

That's not seeking outside help. That's fraud, plain and simple. The OP is at risk for expulsion, should this come to the attention of a Judicial board.

Okay, thanks for clearing this up. I really want to be a good physicist, but while steeped in the stresses of the semester, I have trouble thinking clearly. Pretty hard lesson, I'd say, in not attaching your own worth to your work unto the point of having someone else do it for you... :-|

I am going to stay with my advisor, though. He is quite brilliant and kind.

I hope you trust me to do the right thing. I request this thread be shut down.

1. What should I do if I am unsure about a physics assignment?

First, try to understand the assignment instructions and the concepts involved. If you are still unsure, reach out to your classmates or professor for clarification. You can also do additional research or practice problems to strengthen your understanding.

2. How can I effectively communicate with my physics advisor for help?

Be clear and concise when explaining your questions or concerns. Provide specific examples or context to help your advisor understand your confusion. Also, actively listen to their suggestions and ask follow-up questions if needed.

3. Is it okay to seek help from multiple physics advisors?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to seek help from multiple advisors. Each advisor may have a different perspective or approach to the problem, which can help you better understand the material.

4. What resources are available to help me with my physics assignments?

Your professor, teaching assistants, and classmates are all great resources for help. Additionally, you can use online resources such as textbooks, instructional videos, and practice problems to supplement your learning.

5. How can I avoid feeling overwhelmed when seeking help from my physics advisor?

Break down the assignment into smaller, manageable tasks. Prioritize your questions or concerns and focus on one at a time. Also, don't be afraid to ask for clarification or take a break if you are feeling overwhelmed.