Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Aero vs Mech for propulsion

1. Oct 2, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone

I'm a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering, although I wish it were aerospace eng but my school doesn't offer that. I'm interested in researching propulsion. Could I do this with a major in mechanical engineering?

Also if I went to grad school for a phd in aero, is it possible to be a researcher in industry? I've heard that industry would rather hire people with an undergrad degree or ms. Is this true?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2010 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is absolutely possible to do propulsion research as an ME. I knew a lot of people who did that as ME's. Also, count me among the people who did ME undergrad and went for a PhD in Aero.

As for research in industy, you can absolutely do that too. There are a lot fewer PhD jobs than BS or MS jobs out there in industry, but then again, there are a lot fewer PhD's as well. I don't remember where the source was, but I seem to recall the unemployment rate for PhD's (in science and engineering anyway) being lower than their BS/MS counterparts.

4. Oct 2, 2010 #3

minger

Science Advisor

I know a guy with a ME degree who works in propulsion.
    <----- That guy

As for the PhD, it's all about what you want to do. If you do get the PhD, you will really pigeonhole yourself, which is a good thing if you really know what you wanna do, or it can be a bad thing if you're uncertain.

5. Oct 3, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the tips guys!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook