Aerodynamics -- Warehouse fans blowing toward each other

In summary, it seems that if the fans are blowing in the same direction, the airflow is cancelled out and we don't feel the breeze. This is especially problematic in an elevated work area where the warm air rises. This is a demonstration experiment that would be useful to try in order to convince coworkers that this is actually the case. The fans in our warehouse are axial, but it's possible that the problem may be similar with centrifugal fans. Make sure you get permission from management and the emergency response team before doing anything, and be aware that the neighbors may call the fire department if they see smoke or white clouds.
Heathbar
Hello, all. I work in a warehouse, and in an elevated work area. It's warmer up there because heat rises, but we have a few fans meant to help cool us. Unfortunately, one out of three fans is facing toward another, and I've been trying to explain to my coworkers that if one fan faces another, the air currents basically cancel each other out. We can feel it by standing at equal distance from both of the fans that are blowing toward one another(i.e. you don't feel any kind of breeze if you stand in the middle).

I tried to explain this to one coworker, and he says "No, that's not how air works". I'm 90% sure he just "wanted to be right". Since telling him that much doesn't convince him, I tried searching the web for explanations to support my claim, but none of the results matched this specific scenario. Simple or complex explanations will both be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! :smile:
It seems that the only problematic location, regarding flow of air, is that middle point between those two fans.
Perhaps, that middle point is far enough from the fans to receive poor flow anyways?
What type of fans do you have in your warehouse, axial or centrifugal?
Could you show us a diagram?

Clearly, a demonstration is in order. Get a few smoke bombs, and try with the fans in different orientations. Here's a good source: https://www.mcmaster.com/smoke-bombs. Be advised that they have poor shelf life, so buy only what you will use up within a few weeks.

Make sure you get permission from the boss. Management tends to react poorly to surprise experiments. Once upon a time, my summer student lit a smoke bomb underneath a 5 MW hydroelectric generator without warning management. The power company management offices had a floor to ceiling glass wall overlooking that generator. Oops.

Likes jim mcnamara and Lnewqban
jrmichler said:
Make sure you get permission from the boss.
And make sure your Emergency Response Team knows about it so they don't respond. And make sure the neighbors know about it, so they don't call the Fire Department.

Our ERT used to hold annual fire extinguisher training in our parking garage in downtown San Jose, and I always placed a courtesy call to 911 an hour or two ahead of time so they knew that any calls about smoke or white clouds coming from our parking garage were just our training...

1. How do warehouse fans blowing toward each other affect air flow?

The direction and speed of the fans can greatly influence the movement of air in a warehouse. When fans are blowing toward each other, they create a crosswind that can help circulate and mix the air in the space. This can help regulate temperature and humidity levels, as well as reduce stagnant air pockets.

2. What is the ideal placement for warehouse fans blowing toward each other?

The optimal placement for warehouse fans blowing toward each other depends on the size and layout of the space. Generally, it is best to have the fans positioned at opposite ends of the warehouse, with one fan blowing toward the other. This allows for the most effective air circulation and can help prevent hot or cold spots.

3. How do warehouse fans blowing toward each other impact energy efficiency?

When fans are blowing toward each other, they can create a wind tunnel effect that helps move air more efficiently. This can reduce the need for air conditioning or heating systems, resulting in energy savings. However, it is important to ensure that the fans are properly sized and positioned to avoid any energy waste.

4. Can warehouse fans blowing toward each other create a dangerous environment?

In some cases, warehouse fans blowing toward each other can create a strong and potentially hazardous wind gust. This can be especially dangerous for workers operating near the fans or for items that are not securely fastened. It is important to properly assess the space and take necessary precautions to avoid any potential hazards.

5. How does the size of warehouse fans affect their effectiveness when blowing toward each other?

The size of warehouse fans can greatly impact their effectiveness when blowing toward each other. Larger fans generally have a greater reach and can move more air at a higher velocity. However, smaller fans may be more suitable for smaller spaces or for more precise air flow control. It is important to consider the specific needs of the warehouse when selecting the size of fans.