Discovering Train Friction: Measuring Aerodynamics on Rails

In summary, you can measure the friction of a train with its rails and the air by doing two things: first, by measuring how quickly the train slows down when it's driven without power, and second, by figuring out how much power it takes to keep the train moving at a constant speed.
konbakas
Summary:: How can I measure the friction of a train with its rails and the air.

How can I measure the friction of a train with its rails and the air. You can assume that the face of the train is like the picture below.
If you need any specifications just let me know
hqdefault.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums. :welcome:

Your question sounds much like homework, so I moved it to this homework forum.

Before our homework helpers help, tell us how you would solve this problem. Clearly, your teacher thinks that you should be able to do it.

Does this post help?

Though, I'm not sure if this empirical method is meant to work with trains.

anorlunda said:
Welcome to Physics Forums. :welcome:

Your question sounds much like homework, so I moved it to this homework forum.

Before our homework helpers help, tell us how you would solve this problem. Clearly, your teacher thinks that you should be able to do it.
Thank, but that's not an assigned homework, its more like me trying to figure out a thought experiment. But I have nearly no experience in air-friction calculations, so I was hoping someone could enlight me in the mathematic formulas on this field or the thought process behind solving this kind of problem.

OK. One way to do it experimentally is to start with the train traveling at a known speed on level track. Then cut off the driving power, and observe how rapidly it slows down. The only thing that slows it down is friction and air drag (drag can be considered friction also).

Likes berkeman
Another way is to find out how much power it takes to keep moving the train at a constant cruising speed. That energy input is what it takes to overcome rolling resistance and air resistance. Look into what the supplied voltage is for the electric train, and what the typical current consumption is at different speeds.

BTW, there is very little rolling resistance for steel wheels on steel rails. Instead, the primary "rolling resistance" will likely be from bearing friction in the axles and wheels, and any other friction losses in the drive train.

Likes Lnewqban
You can get a really really ball park answer by using some basic formula.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/drag-coefficient-d_627.html
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/rolling-friction-resistance-d_1303.html

Of course, all the the tabulated drag coefficients and rolling resistance coefficients are general.
For the train, they do do not mention what type of train - passenger, freight, loaded, high sped, The Bullet, length, velocity.. so any answer you get is most likely very general in scope if you use the numbers given.
At least you could work through an example just to play around.

Note that while the drag force equation has a v squared term, the power the train needs has a v cubed term ( force times velocity gives the power )

You can look up skin friction, and some of these other terms -Reynolds number - to explore further if you choose.

For the axle bearings, of the journal type, where the axle slides on a layer of grease, you can perhaps investigate that area also. And perhaps find something on how temperature affects the viscosity of the grease and subsequently the bearing friction. You may have noticed your car, if you drive, uses more fuel in the winter, and one reason is that colder oil/grease is more viscous at colder temperatures, and the bearings take longer to warm up in winter.

Engineering wise you won't get anywhere near an exact answer as you do not have all the pertinent information about your train.

konbakas said:
Thank, but that's not an assigned homework, its more like me trying to figure out a thought experiment. But I have nearly no experience in air-friction calculations, so I was hoping someone could enlight me in the mathematic formulas on this field or the thought process behind solving this kind of problem.
Welcome, konbakas!
Please, see:

https://www.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/Orellano_2010.pdf

:cool:

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is train friction?

Train friction refers to the resistance or force that occurs when a train moves along a surface, such as a rail. It is caused by the contact between the train's wheels and the rail, and it affects the train's speed and ability to stop.

2. How is train friction measured?

Train friction can be measured by using specialized equipment, such as a dynamometer car, which is a train that is specifically designed to measure friction. This car is equipped with sensors that measure the forces acting on the train, such as drag and rolling resistance. Another method is to use a friction coefficient, which is the ratio of the friction force to the normal force between the train and the rail.

3. What factors affect train friction?

Several factors can affect train friction, including the weight and speed of the train, the condition of the rail and wheels, the type of lubrication used, and the weather conditions. Additionally, aerodynamics can also play a role in train friction, as air resistance can affect the train's movement.

4. Why is measuring aerodynamics on rails important?

Measuring aerodynamics on rails is important because it allows us to better understand the forces that act on a train, which can help improve train design and efficiency. By measuring aerodynamics, we can also identify areas for improvement and make adjustments to reduce energy consumption and increase safety.

5. How can train friction be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce train friction, such as using high-quality lubrication to reduce the contact between the wheels and rails, regularly maintaining and cleaning the tracks, and using aerodynamic designs to minimize air resistance. Additionally, reducing the weight of the train and optimizing its speed can also help decrease friction and increase efficiency.