Aerodynamics of Insect Flight

In summary, the podcast discusses how insect flight relies on different biology and aerodynamics than traditional aerodynamics and airfoils. The wings go back and forth while twisting between the direction changes, and develop lift to a large extent due to vortices that shift back and forth between the front and back of the wing when it changes directions.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am putting this in General Discussion because it could go into either biology or aerodynamics.

Remember how bumble bees were not supposed to be able to fly aerodynamically?
This explains why that is wrong.

Here is a podcast I just found (came out in 2019).
The two podcast guys interview Michael Dickinson (Caltech) who does a great job of describing the biology, aerodynamics, evolution, and neurobiology that are involved with insect flight.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to give you a free bump...

I really never liked this meme. I strongly dislike arguments against reality, and this was always framed that way. And even though I never looked deeply into it, I have a hard time believing it was actually that big of a problem. More likely, nobody ever put enough serious effort into it, or at worst mini-scopic flow visualization and CFD hadn't been well enough developed to show it. But fundamentally and at face value, it would seem like all wing-flapping beings probably fly pretty much the same way.

If you're looking to waste some time, check out the insect flight videos from Ant Lab on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@AntLab

Likes collinsmark
Thanks for the bump @russ_watters!

I am not sure how to interpret your response.

Here are some comments:
russ_watters said:
I really never liked this meme. I strongly dislike arguments against reality, and this was always framed that way. And even though I never looked deeply into it, I have a hard time believing it was actually that big of a problem.
I wouldn't call it a meme, but maybe it is. Nevertheless, it conforms pretty well to what Kuhn would have called an anomaly during periods of normal (as opposed to a period of revolution), in his paradigm view of the world.
Kuhn (1970) defines an anomaly as a violation of the "paradigm-induced expectations that govern normal science" (pp. 52-53). Anomalies are detected through empirical analyses and have formed the basis for most discoveries in the natural sciences. For Kuhn, the discovery of anomalies provides the impetus for paradigm change within a field of study. Anomalies are empirical difficulties that reflect differences between the observed and theoretically expected data.
An anomaly amounts to be an outstanding problem in the field (of accounting for flight of certain insects with normal aerodynamic methods). An anomaly could resolve into either figuring it out with fairly normal concepts or to having a scientific revolution leading to a new view of these issues. Not sure which way this finding will push it, but it still seems pretty normal (science-wise) to me.

russ_watters said:
mini-scopic flow visualization and CFD hadn't been well enough developed to show it.
This makes complete sense to me, however, ...

My understanding what was described in the podcast was not just the same old thing as traditional aerodynamics and airfoils. However, I maybe wrong about this so maybe someone more knowledgeable then me could comment on the podcast's contents.
The unique finding seems to me to be that the wings go back at forth while twisting between the direction changes, and develop lift to a large extent due to vortices that shift back and forth between the front and back of the wing when it changes directions. (maybe humming birds do this too, not sure.)
Not sure how this relates exactly to your comment.

1. What makes insect flight different from bird or mammal flight?

Insect flight is different from bird or mammal flight because it relies on the use of two pairs of wings that beat in a figure-eight motion, rather than one pair of wings that flap up and down. This allows for more efficient and agile flight, as well as the ability to hover and fly backwards.

2. How do insects generate lift and thrust?

Insects generate lift and thrust through the movement of their wings. The downward stroke of the wings creates lift, while the upward stroke generates thrust. This combination of forces allows the insect to stay aloft and move through the air.

3. What factors affect the aerodynamics of insect flight?

There are several factors that can affect the aerodynamics of insect flight, including wing shape, size, and movement. The density and viscosity of the air, as well as the insect's body shape and weight, also play a role in determining the efficiency of flight.

4. How do insects navigate through the air?

Insects use a variety of methods to navigate through the air, including visual cues, sensory information from their antennae, and the use of their wings to sense changes in air currents. Some insects, like bees, also use the position of the sun and landmarks to navigate.

5. Can the aerodynamics of insect flight be applied to human-made aircraft?

While there are certainly lessons that can be learned from the aerodynamics of insect flight, it is difficult to directly apply them to human-made aircraft. The size and scale of insects is much different from that of airplanes, and the complex movements and structures of insect wings are not easily replicated. However, studying insect flight can inspire new designs and technologies for more efficient and agile aircraft.