Aerodynamics-related extended essay

In summary, the person is looking for ideas on what to investigate for their IB Extended Essay, which involves flight testing in a Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk. They have access to an airspeed indicator, altimeter, outside air temperature, and tachometer. Their physics teacher suggested finding the coefficient of drag, but the person is also considering measuring performance at different power settings and altitudes, comparing propeller configurations, investigating airframe drag, and examining the effects of operating temperature.
gschjetne
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my IB Extended Essay. I want to do some flight testing in a Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk (carb. recip. single, fixed-pitch prop). The measuring equipment available to me is an airspeed indicator, altimeter (set at 1013hPa for pressure altitude), outside air temperature and tachometer. I already found a way to find RPM at a power level and pressure altitude.

The thing is that I'm still unsure on what to investigate. I first thought of finding true airspeed at different altitudes and power settings, but my physics teacher says that's not scientific enough. He says I should find the coefficient of drag, but the whole induced drag thing can get quite complicated without an angle of attack indicator. Any suggestions for what I could do? Have some idea of prop efficiency at different tip speeds, but I'm still unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
One possibility is to measure the performance of the aircraft at various power settings and altitudes. You could use the airspeed indicator, altimeter, and tachometer to determine the speed of the aircraft at different power settings and altitudes. You could also use the outside air temperature to calculate the air density and adjust the power settings accordingly. This data could then be used to create performance charts such as rate of climb, takeoff distance, and maximum range. You could also look into how airframe drag affects the performance of the aircraft by varying the power settings and measuring the acceleration.Another option would be to compare the performance of the aircraft with different propeller configurations. You could measure the thrust and torque generated by the propeller at different rpm settings and compare it to the performance of the aircraft with a fixed-pitch propeller. This could give you an understanding of how the propeller efficiency impacts the performance of the aircraft.In addition, you could investigate the effects of airframe drag on the performance of the aircraft. This could be done by measuring the acceleration of the aircraft at different power settings and altitudes, and comparing it to the drag coefficient of the aircraft. This would give you an understanding of how the airframe drag affects the performance of the aircraft.Finally, you could investigate the effects of operating temperature on the performance of the aircraft. By measuring the temperature of the engine and the performance of the aircraft at different temperatures, you could determine how the temperature affects the performance of the aircraft. This would help you understand how the aircraft performs in different temperature conditions.I hope this helps! Good luck with your Extended Essay!

First of all, it's great that you have already identified a specific aircraft and measuring equipment for your extended essay. This will provide a solid foundation for your research. As for your topic, it's important to choose something that you are genuinely interested in and that you have some background knowledge on. This will make the research process much more enjoyable and manageable.

In terms of your physics teacher's suggestion, investigating the coefficient of drag can certainly be a valid and interesting topic. However, as you mentioned, the lack of an angle of attack indicator can make it more complicated. One way to address this issue could be to focus on the effects of different wing configurations (such as flaps or slats) on the coefficient of drag. This would allow you to control the angle of attack and gather more accurate data.

Another idea could be to investigate the relationship between airspeed and fuel efficiency. You could gather data on the fuel consumption at different airspeeds and analyze the results to determine the most fuel efficient speed for the Piper Tomahawk. This would not only be relevant to aerodynamics, but also to the practical aspect of flying.

Finally, you could also consider researching the effects of different propeller designs on performance. This could involve analyzing the efficiency of a fixed-pitch propeller versus a variable-pitch propeller, or comparing different propeller blade shapes.

Ultimately, the key is to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that allows you to gather meaningful data. Don't be afraid to discuss your ideas with your teacher and seek their guidance. Good luck with your extended essay!

1. What is aerodynamics and why is it important?

Aerodynamics is the study of how objects move through air and other gases. It is important because it helps us understand and improve the performance of various vehicles, such as airplanes, cars, and rockets. It also plays a crucial role in sports, such as cycling and skiing, and in the design of buildings and structures.

2. What factors affect aerodynamics?

Several factors can impact aerodynamics, including the shape and size of the object, the speed and direction of movement, air density, and surface roughness. These factors can greatly influence the amount of drag (resistance) and lift (upward force) experienced by an object in motion.

3. How do aerodynamics impact the efficiency of vehicles?

Aerodynamics plays a significant role in the efficiency and performance of vehicles. By reducing drag and increasing lift, aerodynamic design can improve fuel economy and speed, making transportation more efficient. For example, an airplane with a streamlined shape and efficient wing design will use less fuel and fly faster compared to a less aerodynamic aircraft.

4. What are some applications of aerodynamics in everyday life?

Aerodynamics has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in the design of cars, trains, and airplanes to reduce drag and improve fuel efficiency. It is also crucial in the design of buildings and structures to ensure they can withstand wind loads. In sports, aerodynamics plays a role in improving speed and performance. Even activities like riding a bicycle or throwing a ball involve aerodynamics.

5. What are some current research topics in aerodynamics?

Some current research topics in aerodynamics include developing more efficient and sustainable transportation methods, such as electric airplanes and hyperloop technology. Other areas of study include improving the aerodynamics of wind turbines to increase energy production, designing vehicles that can travel at hypersonic speeds, and developing new materials and technologies for better aerodynamic performance.