1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerodynamics-related extended essay

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    Hi, I'm having some trouble with my IB Extended Essay. I want to do some flight testing in a Piper PA-38-112 Tomahawk (carb. recip. single, fixed-pitch prop). The measuring equipment available to me is an airspeed indicator, altimeter (set at 1013hPa for pressure altitude), outside air temperature and tachometer. I already found a way to find RPM at a power level and pressure altitude.

The thing is that I'm still unsure on what to investigate. I first thought of finding true airspeed at different altitudes and power settings, but my physics teacher says that's not scientific enough. He says I should find the coefficient of drag, but the whole induced drag thing can get quite complicated without an angle of attack indicator. Any suggestions for what I could do? Have some idea of prop efficiency at different tip speeds, but I'm still unsure.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted