Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerodynamics simulation programs

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1
    Hey there.
    I'm currently studying to become a mechanical engineer, and in one of my projects I'm in need of some program that can simulate aerodynamics of different shapes. I only expect some kind of simple pogram, nothing fancy, but I don't know anything about this kind of program, so I thought I'd ask all you wise guys about your experience with these. Which is best, which is most userfriendly, which is the cheapest etc.
    Of course any information that you can shed on the subject is welcome, but if it is posible I'd like to import Unigraphics NX2 models into the program, since we use this modeling program on my university, this would really relieve my of a big burden, but as said, any advise is welcome.

Best regards

Thomas Hansen

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2004 #2

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Thomas,

I am in a similar situation of yours. I am 1 course to go to become a Mechanical Engineering, and I am working too in the Fluid Mechanics Area of my University (Escuela Politécnica de la Universidad Carlos III de Madrid). I only can talk to you of the CFD program Fluent 6.0, it is the most common program used here. Well, but talking you how heavy is it, it would be another chapter. Because I have to learn first how the hell it runs!.

4. Jun 2, 2004 #3
    try xfoil. it's free from mit site.

5. Jul 27, 2004 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fluent!

With about half an hour of practice, you can get pretty colourful pictures of contours of pressure, velocity etc around a car or aerofoil profile. Ideal for what you want, though I'm not sure about the compatibility with Unigraphics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?