Airplane and Conveyor Belt Debate

In summary, there is a debate about what would happen if a 747 jetliner weighing 163844 kg lands on a 500-meter treadmill running in the opposite direction of the plane at a speed of 200kph. Assuming the landing gear and bearings can withstand the impact and there is no margin for pilot error, the plane would continue to move towards the end of the treadmill at a slower speed due to the friction in the bearings. This is similar to pushing a friction car against the ground at a higher speed. The opinions vary, but most agree that the plane would eventually slow down and would not take off or crash as long as the landing gear is able to withstand the landing. The debate is whether

cabraham said:
Now I remember, it was "mythbusters" that shot a video showing takeoff. A search should turn it up. BR.

Claude

According to me, the plane will take off as has been discussed, the wheels are not powered, etc. As much as I like mythbusters, their experiment to prove this was not very good imo. It was a little rough,and ready I mean they drag a big sheet of material behind a pickup truck and have a prop plane running in the other direction. At no point do they take wind into account, they don't keep the "treadmill" going at exactly the same speed as the plane etc etc. I love their experiments, but this one for me was a little too far fetched to be conclusive. I definitely wouldn't call it experimentally proven. Proof busted :wink: