Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Aerospace Engineering Degree

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    Hello, I am new here and joined this forum so I could get an answer to this question: Do you have to start in an aerospace engineering program to get a degree in it? Or could you start in mechanical engineering, and then transfer over to aerospace? I am trying to figure out schools and such and am very limited, seeing as most have mechanical instead of aerospace engineering degrees offered. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2
    Yes, usually the first two years of mechanical and aeronautical engineering are identical. My undergraduate university actually offered a degree in "Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering".

4. Jan 6, 2013 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

My university offers a separate degree in aerospace engineering, but a lot of people switch to and from mechanical. The first two years of an undergraduate degree are largely the same between aero and mech e.

A lot of schools just offer mechanical with a minor or focus in aerospace, and a lot of mechanicals work in aerospace fields.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook