1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace engineering degree

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    What additional Maths do I require?
    Like parabolic function or advanced algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2
    So My engineering degree is starting this coming July and I have no knowledge with additional Maths so I decide to learn some basics engineering Maths. Can anyone here suggest me what to learn for my engineering math?

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should have looked over a syllabus of the courses you'll be required to complete in order to obtain your degree. Unless you are attending Double Secret University, these syllabi are published on the university's website.

It's not clear what additional math you require, because you haven't disclosed what math you have already taken.

Engineering undergrads take several courses of calculus, differential equations, complex variables, linear algebra, vector calculus, probability and statistics, numerical analysis, and the like. Usually, these courses occupy the first three years or so of the undergrad degree program.

Seriously, you didn't investigate what courses you would be taking before applying for admission to college? What did you do, win a prize or something?

5. Jun 2, 2014 #4
    It's complicated..... Astrophysics was my first choice but then it required something I didn't learn when I was in my high school so I took aerospace engineering so I'll start to learn some before disaster happens like mh 370

6. Jun 2, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what kind of high school you went to that neglected to teach you astrophysics. :confused:

A lot of the same math courses you would have taken in an astrophysics degree program will also be encountered in an aerospace engineering program.

A college or university undergrad program is not just a re-hash of the material taken in high school: you are supposed to be exposed to subjects in a more in-depth manner or to more complex material altogether.

In any event, good luck!

7. Jun 2, 2014 #6
    What I really did when I was in high school our physics subject are based more on theories and less in calculation so I guessed I've miss a lot.... Our school was focusing pretty much in from quanta to quarks rather than astrophysics or engineering stuff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook