What Math Courses are Needed for an Aerospace Engineering Degree?

In summary, the individual is starting an engineering degree in July and is seeking advice on what additional math to learn. They should have researched the required courses beforehand, as engineering undergrads typically take calculus, differential equations, complex variables, linear algebra, and more. The individual's high school did not cover much math and they are now interested in aerospace engineering. However, they may have missed out on important math concepts. Overall, they are seeking guidance on what to learn before starting their degree.
ry2ncz
What additional Maths do I require?
Like parabolic function or advanced algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
So My engineering degree is starting this coming July and I have no knowledge with additional Maths so I decide to learn some basics engineering Maths. Can anyone here suggest me what to learn for my engineering math?

You should have looked over a syllabus of the courses you'll be required to complete in order to obtain your degree. Unless you are attending Double Secret University, these syllabi are published on the university's website.

It's not clear what additional math you require, because you haven't disclosed what math you have already taken.

Engineering undergrads take several courses of calculus, differential equations, complex variables, linear algebra, vector calculus, probability and statistics, numerical analysis, and the like. Usually, these courses occupy the first three years or so of the undergrad degree program.

Seriously, you didn't investigate what courses you would be taking before applying for admission to college? What did you do, win a prize or something?

It's complicated... Astrophysics was my first choice but then it required something I didn't learn when I was in my high school so I took aerospace engineering so I'll start to learn some before disaster happens like mh 370

ry2ncz said:
It's complicated... Astrophysics was my first choice but then it required something I didn't learn when I was in my high school so I took aerospace engineering so I'll start to learn some before disaster happens like mh 370

I don't know what kind of high school you went to that neglected to teach you astrophysics. :confused:

A lot of the same math courses you would have taken in an astrophysics degree program will also be encountered in an aerospace engineering program.

A college or university undergrad program is not just a re-hash of the material taken in high school: you are supposed to be exposed to subjects in a more in-depth manner or to more complex material altogether.

In any event, good luck!

What I really did when I was in high school our physics subject are based more on theories and less in calculation so I guessed I've miss a lot... Our school was focusing pretty much in from quanta to quarks rather than astrophysics or engineering stuff

What is an aerospace engineering degree?

An aerospace engineering degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree program that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft. It combines principles from multiple engineering disciplines, such as mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering, to create and improve aerospace technology.

What subjects are covered in an aerospace engineering degree?

Some common subjects covered in an aerospace engineering degree include aerodynamics, propulsion, flight mechanics, materials science, and control systems. Students may also study topics related to structures, avionics, and space systems. The curriculum may vary depending on the specific program and institution.

What careers can I pursue with an aerospace engineering degree?

An aerospace engineering degree can lead to a variety of careers in the aerospace industry, including aircraft design and development, space exploration and research, and defense and military contracting. Graduates may also find opportunities in related fields such as aviation, automotive, and renewable energy.

What skills are important for an aerospace engineer?

Some important skills for an aerospace engineer include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also essential, as aerospace engineering projects often involve collaboration with other engineers and professionals.

Is an aerospace engineering degree challenging?

An aerospace engineering degree can be challenging, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as an ability to think critically and creatively. However, with dedication and hard work, students can develop the necessary skills to succeed in the program and pursue a rewarding career in the aerospace industry.