Aerospace Engineering Programs

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person named Pablo who introduced himself as a 23-year-old Aerospace Engineering major with a childhood love for planes and space travel. He asked for help in finding computer software for designing and developing models of crafts, and various suggestions were given, such as X-FOIL, Tornado, and CATIA V5. Other recommendations included reading books on aerodynamics and CFD.
justPAB
Hello guys, I have a couple of questions. First off, I want to introduce myself; my name is Pablo, I am 23 years old and I am an Aerospace Engineering major. I've been in school for a while chasing various disciplines, but I'm sticking with my dream; all because of my childhood love for planes and space travel.

I haven't started any courses in college yet dealing directly with my major, the only courses I've completed are Physics 1 and Calculus 1; plus 60 more credits on other things non related, you know the general education stuff. Anyway, sticking to my topic, I would love some help with the types of computer software I can use in designing and developing computer and live models of crafts? In high school I used autocad in my engineering program, but I'm sure there are more specialized programs out there for Aerospace Engineers. Any comments, ideas, suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
justPAB said:
Hello guys, I have a couple of questions. First off, I want to introduce myself; my name is Pablo, I am 23 years old and I am an Aerospace Engineering major. I've been in school for a while chasing various disciplines, but I'm sticking with my dream; all because of my childhood love for planes and space travel.

I haven't started any courses in college yet dealing directly with my major, the only courses I've completed are Physics 1 and Calculus 1; plus 60 more credits on other things non related, you know the general education stuff. Anyway, sticking to my topic, I would love some help with the types of computer software I can use in designing and developing computer and live models of crafts? In high school I used autocad in my engineering program, but I'm sure there are more specialized programs out there for Aerospace Engineers. Any comments, ideas, suggestions? Thanks for the help!

I don't know your background in aerodynamics but if you haven't taken any courses in aerospace engineering your time might be better spent reading some introductory texts. But if you really want to look at some computer programs don't let me stop you.

It is generally pretty hard to simulate an entire airplane.

NASA developed an interesting educational program that analyzes an airfoil, and might be a good way to get a feel for some of the different airfoil characteristics.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/foil2.html

A really good program for analyzing airfoils is X-FOIL which you should be able to find online. It has a lot of capabilities and is not that difficult to use.

Tornado is a pretty useful code for a preliminary analysis of wings or even a full aircraft but all surfaces are approximated by flat surfaces. It runs in Matlab and is very easy to use. It is also free and can be downloaded from

http://www.redhammer.se/tornado/

Hope some of these help.

justPAB said:

Glad to know you guy. If you are really interested in Aerodynamics, you must face up with some CFD stuffs too. So, I recommend you to read Fundamental of Aerodynamics and Introduction to CFD books. These books will help you understand some basics and foundations. Then, you can know which kind of assumptions are made in XFOIL and other stuffs. Good luck..I'm also the one who devoted myself in Aerodynamics. Catch you later !

Check out Catia V5, industry standard. The course on that program is required in my university. Its the most useful 3D modeling software you'll ever use. I'm a senior Aerospace Engineering student getting ready to graduate soon. Check out my attachments, its some stuff I've designed in CATIA v5 so far, and I'm only scratching the surface.

edit: physicsforums severely reduces the quality.

Attachments

• T38 afternoon.jpg
    T38 afternoon.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 484
  • Stemme In Flight.jpg
    Stemme In Flight.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 423
  • T38.jpg
    T38.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 501

Hello Pablo,

It's great to hear that you are pursuing your passion for aerospace engineering and that you have a background in physics and calculus. As for computer software, there are several options available for designing and developing models of aircraft and spacecraft. Some commonly used programs in the aerospace industry include CATIA, SolidWorks, and ANSYS. These programs allow engineers to create 3D models, perform simulations, and analyze data for various aerospace applications.

In addition to these specialized programs, it may also be helpful to become proficient in programming languages such as MATLAB or Python, which are commonly used for data analysis and simulations in the aerospace field.

I would also suggest reaching out to your university's aerospace engineering department or joining a professional organization such as the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) to network with other engineers and learn more about the software and tools used in the industry.

Best of luck in your studies and pursuit of your dream in aerospace engineering!

What is Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft. It combines principles from mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering to develop technologies and systems for flight.

What do Aerospace Engineering Programs cover?

Aerospace engineering programs typically cover topics such as aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, materials, systems, and control. Students also learn about the design process, testing methods, and project management in the context of aerospace engineering.

What are the career opportunities for Aerospace Engineering graduates?

Aerospace engineering graduates can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, aviation, and space exploration. They may work as design engineers, project managers, research scientists, or consultants in roles related to aircraft and spacecraft design, manufacturing, testing, or maintenance.

What skills are required for success in Aerospace Engineering Programs?

Successful aerospace engineering students possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in math and physics. They also need to have a creative and innovative mindset, attention to detail, and strong communication and teamwork skills. Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) and other relevant software is also important.

What are some top Aerospace Engineering Programs?

Some top aerospace engineering programs include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Michigan, and Purdue University. These programs have a strong reputation for their curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and industry connections.