Aerospace Engineering- San Jose or Cal Poly Pomona?

In summary: Overall, both schools have their pros and cons, so it's important to weigh them carefully and make the decision that aligns with your goals and priorities.
frozenguy
Hi PhysicsForums
I got accepted to both! I'm so excited but now I'm getting anxious about which one to choose. I want to work right away but I also want to continue on to graduate school.

With that said, these are the pros I came up with:

CPP pros:
Close to more relative internships
Seems to have more aero focused classes
More hands on
More relevant professors?

CPP cons:
area?
old classrooms
class cuts?

SJSU pros:
Lots of fund raising (less classes cut)
Good engineering program
I know someone that graduated aero there and has a job, as do his aero class buddies.

SJSU cons:
Not many aero teachers?
Not known for aero engineering specifically?

Any comments would be great. I'm having great difficulty with this decision.
Thanks for taking a look! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have put quite a bit of thought into both of your options and it is understandable that you are having a difficult time deciding which one to choose. Ultimately, the decision is going to come down to what matters most to you. If you are looking for more hands-on experience and aero focused classes, CPP may be the better choice. On the other hand, if you want a more well-rounded engineering program with less classes cut, SJSU may be the better option. It may also be worth considering the career prospects after you graduate. Do you know anyone who is working in the field or has graduated from either school? Talking to them may help you get an idea of what the job market looks like for graduates from each program.

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering programs at San Jose State University and Cal Poly Pomona?

Both San Jose State University and Cal Poly Pomona offer highly reputable Aerospace Engineering programs. However, there are a few differences between the two. San Jose State University has a larger program with a focus on theoretical and analytical aspects of aerospace engineering, while Cal Poly Pomona has a smaller program with a hands-on approach and a focus on practical applications. Additionally, San Jose State University has a designated Aerospace Engineering major, while Cal Poly Pomona has a Mechanical Engineering major with an Aerospace concentration.

2. What are the admission requirements for Aerospace Engineering programs at San Jose State University and Cal Poly Pomona?

The admission requirements for both programs are similar. Both universities require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as a high school diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.0. They also require standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT. In addition, Cal Poly Pomona recommends that applicants have completed coursework in chemistry and computer programming.

3. How long does it take to complete an Aerospace Engineering degree at San Jose State University or Cal Poly Pomona?

Both universities offer a Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, which typically takes four years to complete. However, students may choose to take additional courses or participate in co-op or internship programs, which could extend the time to completion.

4. What type of career opportunities are available for Aerospace Engineering graduates from San Jose State University and Cal Poly Pomona?

Graduates from both universities can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, transportation, and space exploration. They may work in roles such as design engineers, systems engineers, project managers, or research and development engineers. Some graduates may also choose to continue their education and pursue a master's or doctoral degree in Aerospace Engineering.

5. Are there any notable alumni from the Aerospace Engineering programs at San Jose State University and Cal Poly Pomona?

Yes, both universities have produced successful alumni in the field of Aerospace Engineering. Some notable alumni from San Jose State University include former NASA astronauts Yvonne Cagle and Daniel Bursch. Cal Poly Pomona has also produced notable alumni such as David Grant, who serves as Vice President of Commercial Programs at SpaceX, and Brian Binnie, who was the pilot of the first privately funded human spaceflight.