Understanding the Benefits of Reflexed Trailing Edge for Aerofoil Stability

In summary, reflexed trailing edge and convexed lower surface are modifications made to an aerofoil to restrict the movement of the center of pressure with angle of attack, thereby increasing stability. These modifications are commonly used in tailless planes and can be found in more detail through online research.
danny2010
What is the advantage of having reflexed trailing edge. How does it improve the stability of the aerofoil. Reflexed wing are generally used in tailess planes. Can anyone explain to me...with proper pressure distribution details.

What i know about it is... Reflexed trailing edge and convexed lower surface are the two modifications on an aerofoil to restrict the movement of Center of pressure with AOA, and increase the stability

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework question.

Have you tried Google to discover their uses and get the details?

I found some rather interesting articles on the subject.

Hi james,
This is not my home work question. I am an aeronautical engineering, i am appearing for my exams for FTE( Flight Test Engineer) this feb. I just wanted my basics to be strong.

If possible.. help me in explaining how reflexed and convexed lower surface restrict the movement of Center of pressure with angle of attack, there by increase stability.

danny2010 said:
Hi james,
This is not my home work question. I am an aeronautical engineering, i am appearing for my exams for FTE( Flight Test Engineer) this feb. I just wanted my basics to be strong.

If possible.. help me in explaining how reflexed and convexed lower surface restrict the movement of Center of pressure with angle of attack, there by increase stability.

It is still schoolwork, so it qualifies for the Homework Help forums. Please post your schoolwork questions here, in the HH forums.

Can anyone hlep me on this question
Is tat TOOOO SILLY..

can i have the address of the web page which answers my question. It will be really of a great help

What web pages have you been reading so far to try to learn more about the questions?

Google produces some very good results on the subject.

Has the op tried that yet?

1. What is a reflexed trailing edge?

A reflexed trailing edge is a design feature of an aerofoil (or airfoil), which is the cross-sectional shape of a wing or blade. It involves the upward curvature of the trailing edge, which creates a convex shape when viewed from the side.

2. How does a reflexed trailing edge benefit aerofoil stability?

A reflexed trailing edge helps to improve the stability of an aerofoil by reducing the tendency for the airflow to separate from the surface of the wing or blade. This is because the convex shape created by the reflexed trailing edge helps to delay the onset of flow separation, which can cause instability and loss of lift.

3. What other benefits does a reflexed trailing edge offer?

In addition to improving stability, a reflexed trailing edge can also reduce drag and improve aerodynamic efficiency. This is because the upward curvature helps to smooth out the airflow over the wing or blade, reducing turbulence and drag.

4. Are there any downsides to using a reflexed trailing edge?

One potential downside of a reflexed trailing edge is that it can increase the overall weight of the aerofoil. This is because the upward curvature requires additional structural support, which adds weight to the wing or blade. However, this trade-off is often considered worth it for the improved stability and efficiency.

5. How is the effectiveness of a reflexed trailing edge measured?

The effectiveness of a reflexed trailing edge is typically measured by analyzing the lift and drag characteristics of the aerofoil. This can be done through wind tunnel testing or computational fluid dynamics simulations. Additionally, real-world flight testing can also be used to evaluate the performance of a reflexed trailing edge in different conditions.