Aerospace Engineering Science Fair - Exploring Delta Wings at Supersonic Speeds

In summary, the conversation involves a person who is promoting Aerospace Engineering at a science fair by showcasing a project that visualizes vortices using food coloring and water currents. The main focus is on delta wings at supersonic speeds and the person is seeking help in finding simple yet attention-grabbing words to use in their presentation for middle/high school students. They plan to use pictures and movies to engage the audience, but also want to incorporate words related to supersonic flight.
_Bd_
Im going to a science fair to promote Aerospace Engineering. Me and my team are doing a project that helps visualize vortices (throught food coloring and water currents. . .pretty usual)
the main point is to talk about delta wings.
Im going to specify in delta wings at super sonic speeds and was just wondering if you guys could help me like. . .find "amazing" words (that arent too complex) or things that like are super attention getters. . .this is going to be mostly for middle/high school students although some college students may attend.

I don't want to mention too hard concepts, just going to say a little about how delta wings are better at handling supersonic speeds and stuff. . .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to get middle/high schoolers' attention? Use pictures. Lots of pictures. If you have movies, that is even better.

boneh3ad said:
You want to get middle/high schoolers' attention? Use pictures. Lots of pictures. If you have movies, that is even better.

well I am doing that experiment that runs water and we have a fixed delta wing model and we have food coloring that comes out from the tip and you can clearly see the vertices formed in the top. . .it looks pretty cool. I am hoping that would get their attention but I want words as well. . .and I've been coming up with stuff that is more related to supersonic flight not necessarily with delta wings =,=

I guess I don't know what you are looking for then. Just words to put on display that look cool? There aren't a ton of those relating to delta wings unless you think things like "vortex" and "pressure gradient" and "cross flow" are eye-catching. Other than that, I would say stick to the supersonic theme.

First of all, congratulations on your project and your participation in the science fair! Aerospace engineering is an incredibly exciting and important field, and I'm sure your project will help inspire and educate others about it.

As for your question about finding "amazing" words or attention getters, I would suggest focusing on the unique characteristics and advantages of delta wings at supersonic speeds. You can mention that delta wings have a triangular shape, which helps to reduce drag and increase stability at high speeds. You can also explain how the vortices created by the wings, as visualized in your project, play a crucial role in the aerodynamics of supersonic flight.

You can also mention how delta wings have been used in some of the most iconic and groundbreaking aircraft, such as the Concorde and the Space Shuttle. This can help capture the imagination of your audience and showcase the real-world applications of your project.

In terms of avoiding complex concepts, you can focus on explaining the basic principles of delta wings and how they differ from other wing designs. You can also mention how engineers have used delta wings to overcome challenges in supersonic flight, such as the "sonic boom" effect.

Overall, I would suggest keeping your language clear and engaging, and using visual aids like your project to help illustrate your points. I'm sure your audience will be fascinated by the world of aerospace engineering and the role of delta wings in it. Best of luck at the science fair!

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves the study of aerodynamics, propulsion systems, materials, structures, and control systems to create safe and efficient flying vehicles.

2. What is a science fair project on aerospace engineering?

A science fair project on aerospace engineering focuses on exploring a specific aspect of aerospace engineering, such as the design of delta wings at supersonic speeds. This project would involve conducting experiments and analyzing data to better understand how these wings perform in high-speed flight.

3. What is a delta wing?

A delta wing is a type of wing that resembles the Greek letter delta (Δ) when viewed from above. It is commonly used on high-speed aircraft, as it provides high lift and low drag at supersonic speeds.

4. How do delta wings perform at supersonic speeds?

Delta wings are designed to perform well at supersonic speeds by generating shock waves that provide additional lift and reduce drag. These wings are also able to withstand high temperatures and pressures experienced at high speeds.

5. What are some potential applications of delta wings at supersonic speeds?

Delta wings at supersonic speeds have various applications in aerospace engineering. They are commonly used on fighter jets, such as the F-16 and Eurofighter Typhoon, as well as on supersonic commercial aircraft like the Concorde. They can also be used on rockets and hypersonic vehicles for space exploration.