Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Engineers

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    I'm currently a high school senior applying to colleges, planning to major in aerospace engineering. However, I am concerned about the job outlook and employment locations for the field. I was to work in a R&D department of a major cororation but also want to stay reasonably close to home (NY). Are there any R&D jobs available in the Northeast? I can only seem to find oppurtunities in California. Also, how hard is it for an aerospace engineer to get a job with an undergraduate degree? What is an average base salary? And finally, are any aerospace engineers employed outside of the aerospace industry? Thanks for any help you can give.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2
    i'll only answer the last part of your question in which you askedis ther any chance to work outside the industry
    aerospace engr'g is similar to mechanical eng as you can see easily, both have same courses but aerospace is the spezialized. thus i want to mean you can work anywher that produces engines and gain more than your needs
    the only problem is loving the job because it is going to fill your life, don't forget
  4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

Is there no way to work in aerospace engineering part-time? I really want to go into it, but I won't be able to handle a full-time job.
  5. Nov 16, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  6. Nov 18, 2005 #5
    R & D with undergrad?... not very likely
    Starting salery with UG....between 40-50K depends location.
    North East is the place to be baby, MIT, P&W, much more.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?