1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace grad schools

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

hey all

i am applying for masters aerospace engineering. my undergrad is math. should i include the following on my personal statement: apart from single variable calculus, i completed my math major in 1 year with 3.8. for your information here at pf, i did 2 terms of vector calculus, 1 diff eq, 2 terms linear algebra, 1 pde/fourier analysis, 1 real analysis, 2 proof geo/isometric geo, 1 dds/chaos thoery. (tested out of basic proof, as analysis covered this pre-req)

also, i want to get into grad schools like purdue, maryland, university of washington, university of virginia. after reading the following, am i a competitive applicant?

overall gpa: 3.8 (same as core, first major math-second major economics)
    gre: not yet taken
    research: currently vortex collision with buoyant ink in water under university professor (will probably get published)
    school: university of oregon
    non-math courses: electromagnetism, am deciding yes/no for quantum mechanics
    specifics: want to study propulsion or aerodynamics (whichever uses most diff eq and vector calc, as i love these subjects)

i really appreciate your help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2012 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are competitive at all of those schools. I would expect you to be admitted to all of them.

4. Aug 20, 2012 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

i appreciate your reply bonehead. should i make an effort to say i completed the math major in a year or would that seem redundant, as theyll have my transcript??

5. Aug 20, 2012 #4
    Your research interests and experiences are more important than how fast you finished your degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook