Maximizing my Chances for Aerospace Grad Schools: A Guide for Math Majors

Highlight those in your personal statement.In summary, the speaker is a math major applying for a masters in aerospace engineering with a 3.8 GPA. They have taken advanced math courses and are currently conducting research that will potentially be published. They are interested in studying propulsion or aerodynamics and are competitive at schools like Purdue, Maryland, University of Washington, and University of Virginia. The speaker is wondering if they should mention completing their math major in one year in their personal statement. It is advised to focus on their research experiences and interests instead.
member 428835
hey all

i am applying for masters aerospace engineering. my undergrad is math. should i include the following on my personal statement: apart from single variable calculus, i completed my math major in 1 year with 3.8. for your information here at pf, i did 2 terms of vector calculus, 1 diff eq, 2 terms linear algebra, 1 pde/fourier analysis, 1 real analysis, 2 proof geo/isometric geo, 1 dds/chaos theory. (tested out of basic proof, as analysis covered this pre-req)

also, i want to get into grad schools like purdue, maryland, university of washington, university of virginia. after reading the following, am i a competitive applicant?

overall gpa: 3.8 (same as core, first major math-second major economics)
gre: not yet taken
research: currently vortex collision with buoyant ink in water under university professor (will probably get published)
school: university of oregon
non-math courses: electromagnetism, am deciding yes/no for quantum mechanics
specifics: want to study propulsion or aerodynamics (whichever uses most diff eq and vector calc, as i love these subjects)

i really appreciate your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are competitive at all of those schools. I would expect you to be admitted to all of them.

i appreciate your reply bonehead. should i make an effort to say i completed the math major in a year or would that seem redundant, as theyll have my transcript??

Your research interests and experiences are more important than how fast you finished your degree.

I would like to commend you on your impressive academic achievements and your clear passion for mathematics and aerospace engineering. It is definitely a good idea to highlight your strong background in mathematics, as it is a crucial subject in the field of aerospace engineering. It shows that you have a solid foundation in the necessary skills and knowledge for this field.

In terms of your personal statement, it would be beneficial to mention your quick completion of your math major and your high GPA. This demonstrates your dedication and ability to excel in a rigorous academic program. However, it is also important to focus on how your math background has prepared you for the specific field of aerospace engineering and how it will contribute to your success in a graduate program.

Your research experience is also a valuable asset that you should definitely include in your application. It shows your commitment to the field and your ability to conduct independent research. Getting published is a great achievement that will definitely strengthen your application.

In terms of your choice of graduate schools, it is difficult to say whether you are a competitive applicant without knowing the specific admissions criteria of each university. However, your strong academic background and research experience make you a strong candidate for any graduate program in aerospace engineering. I would recommend also highlighting any relevant coursework or projects that align with your interests in propulsion or aerodynamics.

Overall, I believe you have a strong chance of being accepted into a top graduate program in aerospace engineering. My advice would be to continue excelling in your current coursework and research, and to make sure your personal statement effectively showcases your passion and readiness for a graduate program in this field. Good luck with your applications!

What is the importance of math in aerospace graduate schools?

Math is a critical component of aerospace engineering and is heavily utilized in graduate level courses and research. A strong foundation in math is necessary for success in this field, and many graduate programs specifically look for applicants with a strong background in math.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting accepted into an aerospace graduate program as a math major?

One of the best ways to increase your chances is to take as many math courses as possible during your undergraduate studies. Additionally, participating in research projects or internships in the field of aerospace can also enhance your application and demonstrate your interest and skills in the subject.

Are there specific math courses or topics that I should focus on to prepare for aerospace graduate school?

It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and numerical methods. Additionally, courses in physics and computer science can also be beneficial. It is also recommended to take courses in aerospace engineering, if available.

Do I need to have prior experience in aerospace to be accepted into a graduate program?

Prior experience in aerospace is not always necessary, but it can be beneficial. Many programs look for applicants with a diverse range of experiences and skills, so any experience in the field can help make your application stand out.

What other factors should I consider when applying to aerospace graduate schools as a math major?

In addition to academic qualifications, it is important to have strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and a high GPA. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE. It is also helpful to research the specific program and tailor your application accordingly.