Exploring Aerospace Programs at Canadian Universities

In summary, both universities offer a good curriculum, but Toronto has more opportunities for research.
QUITE RIGHT
Im planning to go into aerospace next year (im in grade 12 now)
and I am debating between the different universities in Canada (Toronto, carlton are the 2 main ones but also mc Gill, Ryerson University, York, Ottawa...)

Ive heard from some that Carlton is second rate (but they have what seems to be good co-op) and Toronto is a huge univeristy with classes of 1000+ and less co-op...

If anyone knows anything about the aerospace program at any of these universities please
respond so I can make a better choice

PS: I have grades to get into all of them

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I have posted a thread like this a few weeks ago, but no one responds to me because I am, too, torn between Toronto and Carleton.
So, do you have any information about the two?
I mean have you talked to someone studying there?

Phillipe

I have talked to people about aerospace and I am having a job shadow in a few weeks
hopefully that will shed some light on the problem.

My physics teacher (awesome teacher) told me that Toronto has a much better general
reputation and that he knows nothing about Carlton,

however when i told him about co-op at carlton and the high scholoships he told me
Carlton sounds better just from that.

Problem is no one seems to know about the SPECIFIC aerospace reputation for either carlton or toronto

If you are looking for reputation, I guess Toronto has a good international reputation; nevertheless, Toronto includes two years of engineering science before you start aerospace engineering program which is kinda a mixed major.
However, Carleton doesn’t make it complicated and doesn’t require you to study other things, such as science, that might not interest you. So, for me I have scholarship for the two, but I am still uncertain because I want to study excellent curriculum that will benefit me and will open many doors to choosing jobs since I’m an international student.

If you want to check the curicculum out for both universites, there are listed here in the two links.
This is Toronto's: http://www.prospective.engineering.utoronto.ca/skule/firstyear/engsci.htm
This is Carleton's:
http://www.mae.carleton.ca/maehtmls/aerospace.html
For me, I prefer Carleton because it seems you will start doing experiments from, say, the first year, but for Toronto I don't think so.
However, I want to meet students from the two and then decide which is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do talk to anyone from those universities please tell me about it.

I'm not looking for reputation merely a university which will get recognized
by employers and a diploma that competes with those from the states (since most aerospace jobs are in the states)

MATH 1004 Calculus for Engineering Students
CHEM 1101 Chemistry for Engineering Students
ECOR 1010 Introduction to Engineering
MATH 1005 Differential Equations and Infinite Series for Engineering Students
ECOR 1101 Mechanics I
MATH 1104 Linear Algebra for Engineering and Computer Science Students
ECOR 1606 Problem Solving and Computers
PHYS 1004 Introductory Electromagnetism and Wave Motion
Elective: Humanities or Social Sciences
Elective: Humanities or Social Sciences

Calculus I & II
Linear Algebra
Introduction to Computer Programming
Structures and Materials
Systems Biology
Physics I
Thermodynamics
Praxis I & II
Relativity
Matrix and Vector Algebra
Fundamentals of Electricity & Electric Circuits
Computer Programming, Algorithms, Data Structures and Languages

These are the first year courses for Carlton and Toronto no big differences that I am noticing except humanities at Carlton

Ha! I'm an engineering science student (first year though...) and maybe I can help you...
Engsci definitely has A LOT of abstract math and science compared to practical applied math and science.

If you can help in anyway that would be awesome

I'm considering engineering instead of sciences since sciences is way too broad and school teacher is the main obvious job op after it. (and research associated with being a prof)

Hi There,

Are you studying at U of T ?
How is the course load? Is it worth it to earn an aerospace program through the engineering science?

I have talked to some co-op students from Carlton and learned the following (general info);

Carlton is more hands on while Toronto more theoretical

If u want to go into research or do a Phd go to toronto

Carlton has a good reputation for aerospace but bad overall rep

Toronto has a good overall reputation

Toronto has no co-co

Carlton has small packed campus

Toronto has huge campus, huge classes

Carlton has more industrial oriented labs

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and aviation technology?

Aerospace engineering is a broader field that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. Aviation technology, on the other hand, is more focused on the practical application and operation of aircraft and related equipment.

2. How many Canadian universities offer aerospace programs?

Currently, there are 12 universities in Canada that offer undergraduate and graduate programs in aerospace engineering and related fields.

3. What are some of the top aerospace programs in Canada?

Some of the top universities in Canada for aerospace programs include the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, and McGill University.

4. Are there any specializations within aerospace programs?

Yes, many universities offer specializations within their aerospace programs, such as aerodynamics, propulsion, avionics, and space systems engineering.

5. What are the career opportunities for graduates of aerospace programs?

Graduates of aerospace programs have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in the aerospace industry, government agencies, research and development, and consulting firms. They can also pursue further education in areas such as astronautics, systems engineering, or management.