Can an EE or ME degree lead to a career in aerospace engineering?

In summary: However, there is no guarantee that doing the undergraduate degree in EE would give you a head start in the field.
pioneerboy
Hello there,

I have a few questions concerning how the choice between electrical and mechanical engineering influences one's future career if going into the aerospace branch - if possible at all.
Can you do a Master or graduate in aerospace engineering with an undergraduate degree in one or the other? What's the difference between aerospace and aeronautics engineering anyway?
Assuming holding an aerospace Master degree, how would an undergraduate degree in either EE or ME influence and shape your duties and expertise in an aerospace workplace?
Can you be involved in propulsion stuff with having an EE BSc and aerospace Master? I read in a thread that one can add one or to semesters of aerospace undergraduate lectures after an ME BSc, resulting in holding both, an ME and Aerospace BSc. Is this also true for EE?

Thank you for your answers and information.

Luzius

Physics news on Phys.org
what field of aerospace are you interested in?

meaning do you just want to work on something that goes on an airplane, or do you want to do control theory, fluid dynamics, wing design, motor design, communication, electronics design, etc

Ah, ok. Actually, I'm most interested in propulsion...so probably fluid dynamics. An additional question if you allow: I have a half finished physics undergraduate in my pocket (had to quit, but the credits might be useful for something[?])...if I study now EE (because it allows me to build electronics stuff like a radiotelescope, CCD electronics, and electromagnetic levitation control), but would like to be able to work on rocket propulsion as well...would there be possibilities or would I have already lost by choosing EE over ME?

You're helping me much with your insights!

Last edited:
pioneerboy said:
Ah, ok. Actually, I'm most interested in propulsion...so probably fluid dynamics. An additional question if you allow: I have a half finished physics undergraduate in my pocket (had to quit, but the credits might be useful for something[?])...if I study now EE (because it allows me to build electronics stuff like a radiotelescope, CCD electronics, and electromagnetic levitation control), but would like to be able to work on rocket propulsion as well...would there be possibilities or would I have already lost by choosing EE over ME?

You're helping me much with your insights!

You'd be able to work on electric/plasma propulsion with the right sort of EE background; the type of propulsion that makes heavy lift launch vehicles and such is out of the deph of an EE and is really more in line with an ME background since they have the expertise in fluid dynamics and thermodynamics that the EE typically doesn't. There's loads of communications work and electronics (and associated programming) for EE's to do in the space industry though, some of which you've mentioned with your radio electronics; lots of EE's focus on the building of sub-systems of satellites and their associated ground systems as well.

like clope said you would probably be better off going ME if you were interested in AE for a masters degree with a concentration in propulsion.

And it would not help to do the ME lectures "thermodynamics" and "fluid dynamics" in addition to the curriculum of EE?

donpacino said:
like clope said you would probably be better off going ME if you were interested in AE for a masters degree with a concentration in propulsion.

There are graduate programs in computational fluid mechanics that would be useful for someone who is interested in propulsion.

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineering focuses specifically on designing, building, and testing aircraft and spacecraft. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, is a broader field that deals with the design and production of various mechanical systems, including those used in aerospace. While both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, aerospace engineering also requires knowledge of aerodynamics, propulsion systems, and materials used in spacecraft and aircraft.

2. What are some career opportunities for individuals with a degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering?

Individuals with a degree in aerospace engineering can pursue careers in the aerospace industry, working for companies that design and manufacture aircraft and spacecraft. They can also work for government agencies such as NASA or the Department of Defense. Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and energy. They can also pursue careers in research and development or consulting.

3. How does the field of aerospace engineering contribute to the advancement of technology?

Aerospace engineering plays a crucial role in the advancement of technology. Engineers in this field are constantly pushing the boundaries of what is possible, whether it's designing more fuel-efficient engines, developing new materials for use in spacecraft, or creating advanced navigation and control systems. Innovations in aerospace engineering often have applications in other industries as well, such as transportation and energy.

4. What are some current challenges and opportunities in the field of aerospace engineering?

Some challenges in aerospace engineering include developing sustainable and more efficient propulsion systems, reducing the environmental impact of air travel, and improving safety measures. Opportunities in this field include the growing demand for commercial air travel, the increasing use of satellites for communication and navigation, and the exploration of space and other planets.

5. What skills and qualities are important for success in the aerospace industry?

In addition to strong technical knowledge and problem-solving skills, individuals in the aerospace industry must also possess good communication and teamwork skills. The ability to think critically and work well under pressure is also essential. Attention to detail and a strong understanding of safety protocols are also crucial in this field. Additionally, staying updated on the latest advancements and technologies is important for success in this ever-evolving industry.