Can Bernoulli's Equation be Applied Between Two Points on a Vortex Sheet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove the relationship between a flat vortex sheet of strength \gamma(s) at an angle of attack \alpha with the horizontal and the pressure difference p_{2} - p_{1} = \rho V_{\infty} \gamma cos(\alpha). It is mentioned that the Bernoulli equation and the formula \gamma = u1 - u2 can be used to calculate the vortex strength and resulting pressure. It is also mentioned that Bernoulli's equation can only be applied along a stream line and not between two points.
Mugged
Can someone help me with this, I need to prove that a flat vortex sheet of strength [tex] \gamma(s) [/tex] at an angle of attack [tex] \alpha [/tex] with the horizontal and has a [tex] p_{2} - p_{1} = \rho V_{\infty} \gamma cos(\alpha) [/tex]

I just need to mathematically manipulate 2 formulas, namely the following two:
[tex] \gamma = u1 - u2 [/tex] where u1 and u2 are the tangential flow velocities above and below the vortex sheet, respectively. I know that [tex] V_{\infty} [/tex] is coming in parallel to the horizontal
Also, I need to use the Bernuolli equation: [tex] p_{1} + \frac{1}{2}\rho V_{1}^2 = p_{2} + \frac{1}{2}\rho V_{2}^2 [/tex]

this should be easy but i can't figure it out..any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
1 - Bernoulli's equation can be applied only along a stream line , can't be applied between a point these two points

2 - try to calculate the vortex strength , and integrate them to get the forces , then divide by the areas ..to get the resultant pressure.

1. What is a vortex sheet in aerospace?

A vortex sheet is a thin layer of fluid that forms at the boundary between two fluids with different velocities, such as air and a solid object. In aerospace, it is often seen as a trailing vortex coming off the wingtips of an aircraft.

2. How is a vortex sheet created in aerospace?

A vortex sheet is created when there is a difference in fluid velocity between two fluids. In aerospace, this can happen when an aircraft wing moves through the air, creating a difference in air velocity above and below the wing.

3. What are the effects of a vortex sheet in aerospace?

The effects of a vortex sheet in aerospace can vary depending on the situation. In some cases, it can create lift and improve the efficiency of an aircraft. However, it can also cause drag and instability, which can be problematic for aircraft design.

4. How do engineers account for vortex sheets in aerospace design?

Engineers use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations and wind tunnel testing to study the effects of vortex sheets on aircraft design. They also use techniques such as winglet design and control surfaces to help manage and minimize the impact of vortex sheets.

5. Can vortex sheets be controlled or eliminated in aerospace?

While it is difficult to completely eliminate vortex sheets in aerospace, engineers can use various techniques to control and minimize their effects. This includes using winglets, vortex generators, and advanced aerodynamic design to reduce drag and improve aircraft performance.