Aerospace vs Mech Eng: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, the main differences between an aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering undergraduate program are the specialized courses in the senior year. In aerospace engineering, students can choose courses in aerodynamics, aircraft flight mechanics, and aerospace propulsion, while mechanical engineering students may take courses in finite element analysis, HVAC, or internal combustion engines. It may be more practical to pursue an undergraduate degree in engineering rather than physics, but this decision should be based on personal interests and goals. Both degrees can lead to graduate studies in aerospace engineering, but having an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering may provide a slight advantage. However, many mechanical engineering undergraduates also pursue graduate studies in aerospace engineering.
rocketboy
Hey,

I was wondering what the main differences are between an aerospace eng and mech eng undergrad program. I've been looking into aerospace but there are very very few (i think 2) universities in Canada that offer it as an undergraduate study. (UofT and Carleton). So what does it offer that mech eng doesn't and vice versa?

Thanks
-Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
basically:

AE: in your senior year you choose AeroDynamics, Aircraft flight mechanics, Aerospace propulsion
ME: you take finite element analysis or some advanced statics class, some electives (HVAC, Internal Combustion Engine, etc).

Would it be more practical to get an undergrad in aerospace versus physics? I am thinking that I should do this - and afterwards go to grad school for physics. Is there really no point in this? Should I go physics for undergrad too?

Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering degrees are broadly the same in the UK, the latter being more general and the former (naturally) concentrating slightly more on aerodynamics and aerospace systems, and less on manufacturing and materials.

An engineering degree would definitely be more "practical" than a physics degree, but you need to ask yourself whether practicality is a real consideration in your studies. Good luck either way.

This may be a stupid question, however since only 2 Canadian universities offer aero eng at undergrad level, perhaps not so much. If i were to go into a graduate aerospace program after i did my undergrad, how much of an advantage would i have coming out of an aerospace eng vs coming out of mech eng. I'm sure there are many mech eng undergrad students who go into aeros grad studies...so what is the advantage to an aero undergrad?

thanks, you guys are the greatest help.
-jon

1. What is the main difference between Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering?

The main difference between Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering is the focus of the two disciplines. Aerospace Engineering deals with the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems, while Mechanical Engineering is concerned with the design and development of mechanical systems and machines.

2. Are the job opportunities different for Aerospace and Mechanical Engineers?

While there may be some overlap in job opportunities, Aerospace Engineers typically work in the aerospace industry, including positions in aircraft and spacecraft design, testing, and production. Mechanical Engineers have a wider range of job opportunities, including roles in industries such as automotive, manufacturing, and energy.

3. Which field requires more advanced math and physics knowledge?

Aerospace Engineering generally requires more advanced math and physics knowledge, as it deals with the complex design and operation of aircraft and spacecraft. Mechanical Engineering also requires a strong understanding of these subjects, but may not be as mathematically intensive.

4. Can someone with a degree in Aerospace Engineering work in the field of Mechanical Engineering?

While someone with a degree in Aerospace Engineering may have some knowledge and skills that are relevant to Mechanical Engineering, they may need additional training and education to work in this field. However, some job roles may require a combination of both Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering expertise.

5. Which field is more focused on computer-aided design and simulation?

Both Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering use computer-aided design (CAD) and simulation extensively in their work. However, Aerospace Engineering may rely more heavily on these tools, as the design and testing of aircraft and spacecraft often involves complex and intricate systems that require precise modeling and analysis.