Why is the idea of Aether being attached to Earth questioned?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Aether being attached to Earth and whether or not it is necessary. The speakers argue that the Earth should not be singled out as being stationary with regards to Aether and that it is an unnecessary complication in explaining the universe. They also mention that experiments have ruled out the existence of Aether and question the purpose of duplicating a locked thread on this topic.
hartlw
What rules out Aether being attached to earth?

Why should the Earth be singled out as stationary wrt the aether? If the universe is completeley arbitrary, why are we here? If I were setting up the system, I would plant the aether where it makes the most sense and is most useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no Aether, so the Earth is not special. At the same time you seem to want an Aether attached to earth, (your first statement) and not in your second sentence. Make up your mind.

The simplest solution is that an Aether is a unnecessary complication. We do not need it to explain anything.

hartlw said:

Why should the Earth be singled out as stationary wrt the aether? If the universe is completeley arbitrary, why are we here? If I were setting up the system, I would plant the aether where it makes the most sense and is most useful.

Experiment ruled this out long ago. Read here

hartlw said:

More interestingly, why are you attempting to duplicate a thread that was locked for a good reason?

1. What is "Aether attached to Earth"?

Aether attached to Earth is a scientific concept that suggests the existence of a medium that permeates and fills all space, including the Earth. It was once believed to be the substance that allowed light to travel through space, but this theory has since been disproven.

2. How was the concept of Aether attached to Earth developed?

The idea of Aether attached to Earth was first proposed by ancient Greek philosophers and was later expanded upon by scientists such as Isaac Newton and Rene Descartes. It was believed to be a necessary component of the universe in order to explain the motion of planets and the propagation of light.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of Aether attached to Earth?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of Aether attached to Earth. In fact, experiments conducted in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment, have disproven the existence of Aether.

4. How does the concept of Aether attached to Earth differ from the modern understanding of the universe?

The concept of Aether attached to Earth is no longer accepted in modern science. Instead, the universe is described by the theory of relativity, which explains the behavior of matter and energy without the need for a medium like Aether. Additionally, the theory of quantum mechanics has also provided a more complete understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. Are there any modern theories that incorporate the concept of Aether attached to Earth?

No, the concept of Aether attached to Earth is not included in any modern scientific theories. However, some fringe theories, such as the Steady State theory, have attempted to revive the idea of a medium that connects all matter in the universe. These theories have not been widely accepted by the scientific community due to a lack of evidence.