Aether theories which are experimentally indistinguishable from SR.

In summary, John Baez, on his page about the experimental basis of Special Relativity, states that existing experiments strongly constrain any alternative theory and require it to be indistinguishable from SR. He mentions Zhang's work, which shows that any theory based on the existence of an ether must have an unobservable ether frame. Baez also mentions "Test Theories" of SR, which may provide more information on alternative theories. References to aether theories that are experimentally indistinguishable from SR can be found in the works of John Bell and Paul Dirac. However, some argue that statements claiming the impossibility of an ether are misleading, as other concepts such as gravity and cosmological time can be considered as analogous to an
Yes, I know this paper. But I admit that I stopped reading when they started to talk about "a relativistic velocity space, which they mapped onto
a unit disk with hyperbolic geometry". I´m simply too lazy for such things.
There´s http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math-ph/pdf/0506/0506041.pdf" that might interest you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ich said:
Yes, I know this paper. But I admit that I stopped reading when they started to talk about "a relativistic velocity space, which they mapped onto
a unit disk with hyperbolic geometry". I´m simply too lazy for such things.
There´s http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math-ph/pdf/0506/0506041.pdf" that might interest you.

Thank you, this one is even tougher. The Europeans don't mince words when it comes to math.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: