How to Interpret and Visualize Affine Algebraic Curves in Ernst Kunz's Book?

In summary, Example 1.2 in Ernst Kunz's book "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves" discusses the interpretation of the equation aX + bY + c = 0 as a line in the affine plane \mathbb{A}^2 (K). The points on this curve have coordinates (X, Y) where X and Y are elements of the field of coefficients K. Furthermore, if K_0 \subset K is a subfield and a,b,c \in K_0, then the line g: aX +bY + c = 0 will possess K_0-rational points, as shown by the points (-c/a, 0) and (0, -c/b)
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ernst Kunz book, "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves"

I need help with interpreting Example 1.2.

The relevant text pertaining to Example 1.2 is as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4548
Question 1

In Example 1.2 above how do we interpret \(\displaystyle aX + bY + c = 0\)? ... ...I understand that the coefficients come from the field \(\displaystyle K\) ... ... But if we want to plot and examine the curve in the affine plane \(\displaystyle \mathbb{A}^2 (K)\) ... do we take values of \(\displaystyle X, Y\) from \(\displaystyle K\) also? If not what do we do regarding plotting and visualizing the curve in the affine plane ... ?
Question 2In the above text we read the following:" ... ... If \(\displaystyle K_0 \subset K\) is a subfield and \(\displaystyle a,b,c \in K_0\), then the line \(\displaystyle g: aX +bY + c = 0\) certainly possesses \(\displaystyle K_0\)-rational points. ... ... "How do we (formally and rigorously) show that this statement is true?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter
*** NOTE ***

Just a thought on my own Question 2 above ... ...

\(\displaystyle \Gamma \ : \ g = 0\) would contain the points \(\displaystyle X = -c/a, Y= 0\) and \(\displaystyle X = 0, Y = -c/b\) ... that is the points \(\displaystyle ( -c/a, 0), (0, -c/b) \in \Gamma\) ... ...

Further \(\displaystyle K_0\) would contain \(\displaystyle 0\) since \(\displaystyle K_0\) is a subring ... ...So ... ... if we can show that \(\displaystyle K_0\) contains \(\displaystyle -c/a\) and \(\displaystyle -c/b\) we then have shown that the points \(\displaystyle ( -c/a, 0), (0, -c/b) \in K^2\) and hence the points \(\displaystyle ( -c/a, 0), (0, -c/b) \in \Gamma_0 = \Gamma \cap K^2\) ... ... that is that the points \(\displaystyle ( -c/a, 0), (0, -c/b)\) are \(\displaystyle K_0\)-rational points of \(\displaystyle \Gamma\) ... ... BUT \(\displaystyle K_0 \) is a subring not a subfield and so ... we cannot assume \(\displaystyle a^{-1}\) and \(\displaystyle b^{-1} \in K_0\) ...Is my analysis so far correct? ... and if so how do we conclude that the line \(\displaystyle g: aX +bY + c = 0\) possesses \(\displaystyle K_0\)-rational points.
*** NOTE 2 *** (Smirk)

Oh my goodness!
Just read Example 1.2 (a) again ... Kunz mentions that he assumes \(\displaystyle K_0 \subset K\) is a subfield ... I was reading the definition of \(\displaystyle K_0\)-rational points of \(\displaystyle \Gamma\) in Definition 1.1 ! ... did not notice that in Example 1.2 (a) he changes the assumption about \(\displaystyle K_0\) ... ...

... hmmm ... must read maths texts more carefully ...

So ... ... now I think the difficulty I mentioned above has gone and the points \(\displaystyle ( -c/a, 0), (0, -c/b)\) are \(\displaystyle K_0\)-rational points of \(\displaystyle \Gamma\) ...

Can someone please confirm that my analysis is correct ... or point out errors ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Peter,

I am also currently reading Ernst Kunz's book and I would be happy to help you with interpreting Example 1.2.

In Example 1.2, the equation aX + bY + c = 0 represents a line in the affine plane \mathbb{A}^2 (K), where K is the field of coefficients. In order to plot and examine this curve, we can take values for X and Y from the field K. This means that the points on the curve will have coordinates (X, Y) where X and Y are elements of K. For example, if K = \mathbb{Q}, then the points on the curve would have rational coordinates.

As for your second question, it is true that if K_0 \subset K is a subfield and a,b,c \in K_0, then the line g: aX +bY + c = 0 will possess K_0-rational points. This can be shown by considering the points ( -c/a, 0) and (0, -c/b) on the curve. Since K_0 is a subfield, it contains the elements -c/a and -c/b, and therefore these points are K_0-rational. This means that the curve g: aX +bY + c = 0 has at least two K_0-rational points, which satisfies the definition of K_0-rational points in Definition 1.1.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of Example 1.2. Keep reading and don't hesitate to ask for help if you come across any more difficulties. Good luck!

1. What is an affine algebraic curve?

An affine algebraic curve is a geometric object defined by an equation of the form f(x,y) = 0, where f is a polynomial in two variables x and y. It is a subset of the Cartesian plane and can be represented as a set of points (x,y) that satisfy the equation.

2. How are affine algebraic curves different from other types of curves?

Affine algebraic curves are defined by polynomial equations, while other types of curves, such as parametric and polar curves, are defined by equations involving trigonometric functions or other mathematical functions. Affine algebraic curves also have a more algebraic and geometric interpretation, making them useful for studying the intersection of geometric objects.

3. What is the degree of an affine algebraic curve?

The degree of an affine algebraic curve is the highest exponent of the variables x and y in the defining polynomial equation. For example, the curve defined by the equation 3x^2 + 2xy + 4y^3 = 0 has a degree of 3.

4. How are affine algebraic curves used in mathematics?

Affine algebraic curves have many applications in mathematics, including in algebraic geometry, complex analysis, and number theory. They are also used in cryptography and coding theory. Additionally, affine algebraic curves can be used to study the properties of algebraic equations and to prove theorems in mathematics.

5. What is the relationship between affine algebraic curves and conic sections?

Conic sections, such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas, can all be represented as affine algebraic curves. In fact, any conic section can be transformed into an affine algebraic curve by a change of coordinates. This relationship allows for the study of conic sections using the tools and techniques of affine algebraic curves.