1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Affine geometry

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1

A_B

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] are two affine lines in [itex]\mathbb{A}^3[/itex] that are not parallel and [itex]S\cap T=\emptyset[/itex].

Show there is a unique affine plane [itex]R[/itex] that contains [itex]S[/itex] and is weak parallel with [itex]T[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Existence is easy, if [itex]S=p+V[/itex] and [itex]T=q+W[/itex] then [itex]R=p+(V+W)[/itex] satisfies the conditions.

To prove uniqueness I assume planes [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] both satisfy all conditions. They both contain [itex]S[/itex] so they can be written as [itex]p+(V+vectorspace)[/itex]. That vectorspace must be [itex]W[/itex] since the planes must be weak parallel with [itex]T[/itex]so both [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] are equal to [itex]p+(V+W)[/itex].

Is this good?
    If it is, it still seems very ugly to me, is there a better way to do it?

Thanks
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is ugly about the solution?? It seems nice...

There is a little detail missing though. For uniqueness, you must use somewhere that S and T are not parallel.

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3

A_B

Thanks micromass!

Ok,The direction of R and Q must contain W, since V does not contain W, and is not a subspace of W (S and T are not parrallel and have dimensions 1) , "vectorspace" must be W
    good now?

I feel it's ugly because it largely repeats the construction for existence.

thanks again.

5. Nov 1, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's better.

That's exactly why I think it's a pretty argument :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook