1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Affine transformation proof

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An affine transformation T : R^n --> R^m has the form T(x) = Ax + y, where x,y are vectors
    and A is an m x n matrix and y is in R^m. Show that T is not a linear transformation when
    b != 0.

2. Relevant equations

There are couple of useful definitions, but I think this one will suffice :

Definition :

If T is a linear transformation, then T(0) = 0

and T(cU + dV) = cT(U) + dT(V), for all vectors U,V in the domain of T and all scalars c,d.

3. The attempt at a solution

I figure I would show that the affine transformation does not satisfy the definition.

Attempt :

Let U,V be vectors, and c,d be scalers.

Then the affine transformation has to satisfy T(cU + dV) ?= cT(U) + dT(V).

since T(x) = Ax + y then

T(cU + dV) = A(cU + dV) + y

= cAU + dAV + y

= cAU + dT(V)

thus cAU + dT(V) != cT(U) + dT(V), which means that affine transformation is not a
    linear transformation.

Would this suffice or Do I make some assumption that are not plausible. BTW, there
    was a theorem that said that If A is an m x n matrix, then the transformation x -> Ax has
    the properties A(U + V) = AU + aV and A(sU) = sA(U), where U,V are vectors in R^n
    and s is a scaler.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2
    Yes, it suffices to show that T(cU + dV) =!= cT(U) + dT(V). However, there's an easier way:

If T(x) = Ax + y, then T(0) = y =!= 0 unless y=0.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Oh, I should have read the question carefully. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook