Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Afghanistan B747 crash

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    A hair raising crash

From what can be observed on the video, a sharp pitch up and stall supports the supposition of the article:

When the center of gravity exceeds limits, due to inbalanced loads, there is not a lot you can do.

Sad.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

That's just nasty.
    Who was responsible for securing the load?

4. May 2, 2013 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

The "Loadmaster" secures the cargo. He also, according to customary practices, flies on that flight.

5. May 2, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And he is listed as a member of the crew.

6. May 2, 2013 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Okay. I know about loadmasters in a cohesive unit; in this case I wasn't sure whether it was a crew member or part of the military ground staff. (In the latter case, they wouldn't care if they screwed it up.)

7. May 3, 2013 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't imagine any military member so lackadaisical.

Do you think there could be skullduggery afoot? It'd sure be easy to sabotage a tiedown strap.

8. May 3, 2013 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is always possible there was some kind of failure even if the cargo was correctly strapped.

The only way to be at least partially sure is to wait till the investigation ends.

9. May 3, 2013 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And today a KC135.....

http://www.ajc.com/news/ap/defense/us-military-plane-crashes-in-kyrgyzstan/nXfgh/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. May 3, 2013 #9
    Plus one, you're absolutely right. It could be just as well a flight control failure.

11. May 3, 2013 #10

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Plus Two! Surmising, guessing, speculating, and so on are completely useless and only stimulate others to try to imagine what happened. Wait for the investigation to be completed. If possible, the cause will become known.

12. May 3, 2013 #11

Danger

Gold Member

And again, an unpleasant situation. I'm a bit surprised, because I always thought that tankers carried a flight engineer...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook