Afghanistan B747 crash

• News
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
Andre
A hair raising crash

From what can be observed on the video, a sharp pitch up and stall supports the supposition of the article:

According to a listener on frequency the crew reported the aircraft stalled due to a possible load shift.

When the center of gravity exceeds limits, due to inbalanced loads, there is not a lot you can do.

Sad.

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
That's just nasty.
Who was responsible for securing the load?

Bobbywhy
Gold Member
The "Loadmaster" secures the cargo. He also, according to customary practices, flies on that flight.

Borek
Mentor
And he is listed as a member of the crew.

Danger
Gold Member
Okay. I know about loadmasters in a cohesive unit; in this case I wasn't sure whether it was a crew member or part of the military ground staff. (In the latter case, they wouldn't care if they screwed it up.)

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I wasn't sure whether it was a crew member or part of the military ground staff. (In the latter case, they wouldn't care if they screwed it up.)

I can't imagine any military member so lackadaisical.

Do you think there could be skullduggery afoot? It'd sure be easy to sabotage a tiedown strap.

Borek
Mentor
It is always possible there was some kind of failure even if the cargo was correctly strapped.

The only way to be at least partially sure is to wait till the investigation ends.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
And today a KC135...

http://www.ajc.com/news/ap/defense/us-military-plane-crashes-in-kyrgyzstan/nXfgh/ [Broken]

One resident of the agricultural and sheep-grazing area said the plane exploded in flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre
It is always possible there was some kind of failure even if the cargo was correctly strapped.

The only way to be at least partially sure is to wait till the investigation ends.

Plus one, you're absolutely right. It could be just as well a flight control failure.

Bobbywhy
Gold Member
Plus Two! Surmising, guessing, speculating, and so on are completely useless and only stimulate others to try to imagine what happened. Wait for the investigation to be completed. If possible, the cause will become known.

Danger
Gold Member
And today a KC135...
And again, an unpleasant situation. I'm a bit surprised, because I always thought that tankers carried a flight engineer...

Suggested for: Afghanistan B747 crash

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views