Afghanistan B747 Crash: Inbalance Loads Lead to Stall

• News
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crash
In summary, a KC-135 aircraft crashed in Kyrgyzstan, killing all 7 crew members on board. It is still unclear what caused the crash.
Andre
A hair raising crash

From what can be observed on the video, a sharp pitch up and stall supports the supposition of the article:

According to a listener on frequency the crew reported the aircraft stalled due to a possible load shift.

When the center of gravity exceeds limits, due to inbalanced loads, there is not a lot you can do.

Sad.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's just nasty.
Who was responsible for securing the load?

The "Loadmaster" secures the cargo. He also, according to customary practices, flies on that flight.

And he is listed as a member of the crew.

Okay. I know about loadmasters in a cohesive unit; in this case I wasn't sure whether it was a crew member or part of the military ground staff. (In the latter case, they wouldn't care if they screwed it up.)

I wasn't sure whether it was a crew member or part of the military ground staff. (In the latter case, they wouldn't care if they screwed it up.)

I can't imagine any military member so lackadaisical.

Do you think there could be skullduggery afoot? It'd sure be easy to sabotage a tiedown strap.

It is always possible there was some kind of failure even if the cargo was correctly strapped.

The only way to be at least partially sure is to wait till the investigation ends.

And today a KC135...

http://www.ajc.com/news/ap/defense/us-military-plane-crashes-in-kyrgyzstan/nXfgh/

One resident of the agricultural and sheep-grazing area said the plane exploded in flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
It is always possible there was some kind of failure even if the cargo was correctly strapped.

The only way to be at least partially sure is to wait till the investigation ends.

Plus one, you're absolutely right. It could be just as well a flight control failure.

Plus Two! Surmising, guessing, speculating, and so on are completely useless and only stimulate others to try to imagine what happened. Wait for the investigation to be completed. If possible, the cause will become known.

jim hardy said:
And today a KC135...
And again, an unpleasant situation. I'm a bit surprised, because I always thought that tankers carried a flight engineer...

1. What caused the imbalance loads in the Afghanistan B747 crash?

The imbalance loads in the Afghanistan B747 crash were caused by the improper distribution of cargo and passengers on the aircraft.

2. Was the stall in the Afghanistan B747 crash preventable?

Yes, the stall in the Afghanistan B747 crash was preventable. Proper weight and balance calculations and procedures could have prevented the imbalance loads and subsequent stall of the aircraft.

3. How common are imbalance loads and stalls in aircraft crashes?

Imbalance loads and stalls are not common in aircraft crashes. They are rare occurrences that can often be prevented through proper weight and balance procedures and pilot training.

4. What impact do imbalance loads have on an aircraft's performance?

Imbalance loads can significantly impact an aircraft's performance by causing the aircraft to become unstable and potentially leading to a stall. This can result in loss of control and potentially lead to a crash.

5. How can future aviation incidents like the Afghanistan B747 crash be prevented?

Future aviation incidents like the Afghanistan B747 crash can be prevented through strict adherence to weight and balance procedures, proper training for pilots and ground crew, and regular maintenance checks to ensure the aircraft is in proper working condition.