African Demon Attack: Kiboga Pupils

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Limpopo woman says she is being plagued by a hail of stones that follows her wherever she stays. Police then advised the family to consult with spirit mediums about the phenomenon.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is one of many such stories found in the African press from time to time. Among other things, I find the cultural aspects of these reports quite interesting.

Demons Attack Kiboga Pupils

...The parents accused Isma Sserunkuuma, a man, who lives near the school, of bringing the demons locally known as mayembe. They said Sserunkuma wanted the demons from a witchdoctor to help him acquire wealth.

Acting on the parents' report, the Kiboga resident district commissioner (rdc), Margaret Kasaija, ordered for the arrest of Sserunkuuma and the closure of the school until the demons would be driven out of the school. Sserunkuuma is still in detention.

"I wonder why people really acquire demons and resort to bewitching others," Kasaija lamented before she cautioned the public against acquiring demons. [continued]

http://allafrica.com/stories/200407070035.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"At the time of arrest, Sserunkuuma said he could not afford the demons' enormous demands. He said the demons demanded for 300 virgin girls and cows to provide them with blood for sustenance".

Them African demons sure know how to party :tongue2: The demons around here start at about £35 per hour, and a top rate hell-fire belching winged nightmare might set you back up to £160 per hour. Its worth remembering though that in the slow season you can often haggle them down by maybe 10-15%.

On a lighter note, you can't beat a bit of cross-cultural psychopathology to restore your faith in human nature. My personal favourite is Koro, but I am going to try to keep this thread clean and let you look it up for yourself.

http://weber.ucsd.edu/~thall/cbs_koro.html

The correct plural is "penes"? Who knew?

Thanks guys I needed a hefty chuckle! However I think Jonathon had a valid point... How DO you crap with one ass-cheek?

Stones 'follow' woman

Thohoyandou - A Limpopo woman says she is being plagued by a hail of stones that follows her wherever she stays...

...Stones 'fell like rain'

"We were there for nearly the whole night and saw stones falling from the sky like rain," said Vhembe police spokesperson Ailwei Mushavhanamadi.

"We went around the area to make sure someone wasn't throwing stones on the roof on purpose, but we didn't find anyone."

Police then advised the family to consult with spirit mediums about the phenomenon. [continued]

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,6119,2-7-1442_1566845,00.html

It's amazing how they so matter of factly conclude, yep, you've got demons. :biggrin:

There is a multi-storied residential building in Nairobi's Eastleigh estate that always has vacant rooms. And it is not for lack of tenants. But those who enter the building never stay very long.

There is also a building in Huruma with a room that is always vacant. Several tenants are said to have died in that room, so nobody rents it any more. The building is widely rumoured to be inhabited by jinn.

Yet another building in Mathare North has a high turnover of tenants.

"Only a few people stay here for more than two years despite the reasonable rent," says a tenant who is planning to move out at the end of the month.

Francis Musyoka explains why. "I had surveyed the rooms. They are very spacious and I was planning to move in when I heard there were jinn in the building." [continued]

http://allafrica.com/stories/200409080061.html

Well then rent the room to alcoholics. Tell them there is jinn in the room and they will be in faster than you can say... something real fast...

This is funny, he seems to be referring to this like it's an everyday occurence that everyone should understand.

"Owakah wonders how one can possibly disregard the existence of spirits and their interaction with living people.

"How do you explain a dead person refusing to be transported to his rural home due to the presence there of somebody whom the deceased had disagreed with when he was alive," he asks."

I know. It makes for some interesting reading.

The other category of jinn, says Mwoki, are those that protect their owners against sorcery and other evil spirits, and these require normal food, and maybe a chicken or goat once in a while.

Well, that's not too much to ask.

You guys may think this is funny, those silly africans and all that, but to live in fear of demons is probably a horrible thing. Especially if people are being sacrificed to them.

mee said:
You guys may think this is funny, those silly africans and all that, but to live in fear of demons is probably a horrible thing. Especially if people are being sacrificed to them.

Good point. Silly or not, this is all very significant to many people's lives.

Still, I challenge you to read up on Tokoloshe's and not chuckle. :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=7121

1. What is the "African Demon Attack: Kiboga Pupils"?

The "African Demon Attack: Kiboga Pupils" is a phenomenon that occurred in 2008 in the Kiboga district of Uganda where over 100 students of a primary school were reported to have been possessed by demons. The incident gained international attention as it was believed to be a case of mass demonic possession.

2. What were the symptoms of the possessed students?

The symptoms reported by the possessed students included fainting, screaming, violent behavior, and speaking in strange languages. Some students also experienced convulsions and trance-like states.

3. What was the cause of the African Demon Attack?

The exact cause of the African Demon Attack is still unknown and has been subject to much speculation. Some believed it to be a case of mass hysteria or a reaction to a contaminated meal, while others believed it to be a genuine case of demonic possession.

4. How did the authorities handle the situation?

The local authorities and religious leaders intervened and performed exorcisms on the possessed students. The affected students were also provided with medical treatment. The school was closed for a week and reopened after the situation was deemed under control.

5. Has there been any similar incidents since the African Demon Attack?

There have been several other reported cases of mass possession in various parts of the world, but none have gained as much attention as the African Demon Attack. However, it is important to note that none of these cases have been scientifically proven to be genuine cases of demonic possession.