1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

After BENG in EENG

1. Dec 30, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    [My Problem]
    I got a bachelors in Electrical Engineering about 2 years ago and since then I've just been floating around like an unguided wave. A major problem of mine is deciding what to pursue next. I am undoubtedly going to continue my education but not very sure what is exactly I should do. This might be surprising but the the reason for my hesitation is that I am interested in so many things that I'm overwhelmed. But lately I've been narrowing down my options but I'm still facing difficulties because I don't know what exactly such a course in called, hence this thread.

[What I want]
    So, I'm very interested in electronics (micro) and I'd like to put myself in the position where I can do cutting edge research on the fabrication of modern electronic devices. I'm thinking of thinks like nanowires, nanotubes, modern semiconductor materials etc. I'm aware that such a course might require quantum mechanics and material science. With the exception of a usual freshman physics introduction into quantum mechanics, my EENG curriculum included neither QM nor MS.

[What to do]
    Given that I have a bachelors in EENG and the above:
    1. What courses fit my description ? (I mean what is the name of the graduate program I should be looking for)
    2. Will I be eligible for such a course (because it seems very Physics based) ?
    3. Since I am not verse in QM or MS, will such courses provide preliminary classes for students from different backgrounds such as EENG ?

I hope I have clearly explained what I'm looking for and I really hope I can get the help that I need to focus on the next stage of my carrier.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook