What should I do after college for a career in photonics or quantum computing?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the best minors to pursue with an EE major for research in photonics or quantum computing would be Computer Science, Physics, or Math. It is advisable to go to graduate school directly after undergraduate studies, but gaining work experience can also be beneficial. It may be wise to work in a non-R&D job before pursuing a career in research to gain a better understanding of practical applications and manufacturing processes.
Maxwell
I have 2 years left of undergraduate work, but I want to figure out a plan ahead of time.

I am a sophomore EE major. I figure I should decide on a minor or specialization area I'd like to pursue, since I soon begin to choose my technical electives.

Eventually, I'd like to do research in photonics or quantum computing.

Which of the three minors would work the best with an EE major in the above areas?:

Computer Science
Physics
Math

Also, should I apply to graduate school right after undergrad? Or would work experience be worth more, and help me possibly get into a better graduate school?

The type of job I would like is to work as a researcher at a company. For example, IBM. Wherever I work, I'd like to be part of the research department.

What path should I choose? And should I do graduate work or just get a job in general?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any of the three minor you have listed would help you in working in either area.

As for graduate school, speinding time in industry is a good thing, but I have found that many go right after they get their undergraduate degrees. It is a push, I got my masters right after my bacelors, then took time off to work. I went back about 3 years later and got anothe masters then PhD and went back into industry. I do not think work experience means a whole lot to the pampered academics who will decide if you get into their departments, they for the most part have not seen anything but ivory towers.

As for going directly into an R&D type job, I would not. I suggest working a non-R&D job for a couple of years. The reason is this, everyday I see designs by purely R&D type people who have never been on a shop floor interacting with the manufacturing types, they hold manufacturing engineers to unheard of tolarances which any guy who has actually done this type of work knows can't be gotten. I work in aerospace, I have seen drawings for parts with tolarances 0.0001 in, unheard of and then the design engineer screams that the part doesn't work because it wasn't made corectly. Get the feeling of reality before you dive into the unknown.

First of all, congratulations on thinking ahead and planning for your future career in photonics or quantum computing. It's great that you have a specific goal in mind and are already considering your options for achieving it. Here are some suggestions for what you can do to prepare for a career in these fields after college:

1. Choose a relevant minor or specialization: As you mentioned, selecting a minor or specialization in a related field can be beneficial for your future career. In this case, all three options of computer science, physics, and math would be useful for a career in photonics or quantum computing. Consider your strengths and interests to determine which one would be the best fit for you.

2. Participate in relevant extracurricular activities: In addition to your coursework, consider joining clubs or organizations related to photonics or quantum computing. This will not only give you hands-on experience and knowledge in the field, but also provide you with networking opportunities and potential research projects.

3. Pursue internships or research opportunities: Look for internships or research opportunities in companies or labs that specialize in photonics or quantum computing. This will give you valuable experience and exposure to the industry, and can also help you make connections for future job opportunities.

4. Consider graduate school: While it is not necessary to go to graduate school for a career in photonics or quantum computing, it can be beneficial if you want to work as a researcher in a company like IBM. A graduate degree can provide you with more in-depth knowledge and skills, as well as increase your chances of getting a job in a research department.

5. Gain work experience: On the other hand, gaining work experience after completing your undergraduate degree can also be beneficial. It can give you practical skills and industry experience, and can also help you make connections and potentially get into a better graduate program.

Ultimately, the path you choose will depend on your personal goals and priorities. Consider your strengths, interests, and long-term career goals when making your decision. It may also be helpful to talk to professionals in the field and seek their advice on the best path for you. Good luck!

1. What career opportunities are available after college?

There are a wide range of career opportunities available after college, depending on your field of study and interests. Some popular options include working in a specific industry related to your degree, pursuing a graduate degree, or entering a government or non-profit organization.

2. How do I prepare for the job market after college?

Preparing for the job market after college can involve a variety of steps, such as building a strong resume and cover letter, networking with professionals in your field, and gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs. It can also be helpful to research industry trends and job market demands in your desired field.

3. Is it necessary to have a job lined up before graduating?

While it is beneficial to have a job lined up before graduating, it is not always necessary. Many recent graduates take some time to explore their options and gain experience through internships or other opportunities before securing a full-time position. It is important to have a plan and actively search for job opportunities, but it is also okay to take some time to figure out your career path.

4. How can I stay connected with my classmates and professors after graduating?

There are many ways to stay connected with classmates and professors after graduating. Social media platforms, such as LinkedIn, can be a great way to stay in touch professionally. You can also join alumni groups or attend networking events to connect with fellow graduates. Additionally, reaching out to professors for advice or to catch up can help maintain strong relationships.

5. Can I still change my career path after college?

Yes, it is possible to change your career path after college. Many people find that their interests and goals change over time, and it is never too late to pursue a different career path. This may involve additional education or training, but with determination and hard work, it is possible to make a career change after college.