1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

After college?

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    I have 2 years left of undergraduate work, but I want to figure out a plan ahead of time.

I am a sophomore EE major. I figure I should decide on a minor or specialization area I'd like to pursue, since I soon begin to choose my technical electives.

Eventually, I'd like to do research in photonics or quantum computing.

Which of the three minors would work the best with an EE major in the above areas?:

Computer Science

Also, should I apply to graduate school right after undergrad? Or would work experience be worth more, and help me possibly get into a better graduate school?

The type of job I would like is to work as a researcher at a company. For example, IBM. Wherever I work, I'd like to be part of the research department.

What path should I choose? And should I do graduate work or just get a job in general?

Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any of the three minor you have listed would help you in working in either area.

As for graduate school, speinding time in industry is a good thing, but I have found that many go right after they get their undergraduate degrees. It is a push, I got my masters right after my bacelors, then took time off to work. I went back about 3 years later and got anothe masters then PhD and went back into industry. I do not think work experience means a whole lot to the pampered academics who will decide if you get into their departments, they for the most part have not seen anything but ivory towers.

As for going directly into an R&D type job, I would not. I suggest working a non-R&D job for a couple of years. The reason is this, everyday I see designs by purely R&D type people who have never been on a shop floor interacting with the manufacturing types, they hold manufacturing engineers to unheard of tolarances which any guy who has actually done this type of work knows can't be gotten. I work in aerospace, I have seen drawings for parts with tolarances 0.0001 in, unheard of and then the design engineer screams that the part doesn't work because it wasn't made corectly. Get the feeling of reality before you dive into the unknown.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?