Overcoming Struggles to Pursue a Love of Physics

In summary, the speaker started in Computer Engineering in 2004 and has struggled with studying habits and repeating courses. They have now realized their interest lies in theoretical fundamentals rather than design and technology application, and have decided to change majors to Physics. They are aware of the challenges ahead, but are motivated and mature in their decision. Others have expressed concern about the timing and potential waste of their previous studies, but the speaker is determined to pursue their passion.
Throatpoker
I started in '04 in Computer Engineering, and after going through the shock of having no studying habits whatsoever, and the pain of repeating courses that comes with it, I've finally started in my concentration classes. However, it's not what I expected. I have come to realize that what attracts me the most are the fundamentals, the theoretical, instead of the design and application of technologies. Therefore, for the last few weeks I've been seriously considering changing majors, and I've finally decided to jump ship towards Physics. It's funny that something in which I've failed at so much, one could develop a love for. All those those times where I lost sleep understanding things like wave motion and fluids have made me appreciate the beauty behind the processes behind the deduction of such (apparently) complicated principles. So here I am, 22, having seen my friends graduating left and right, some of them even starting their graduate studies, about to start all over again. Hopefully it works out.

Physics news on Phys.org

good luck to you. not everyone has the courage to do what you're doing.

Best of luck with the new boat. Do you have a timeline in mind for finishing your degree?

Don't sweat your age - at most you're two or three years older than your current classmates and any differences you see will pretty much disappear by the time you graduate. And right now you have the advantage of being motivated and more mature!

I'm doing the exact same thing as you except that I'm in second year and I'm 19. We might look like faliures now but hard work is the key to salvation :) good luck.

Why don't you finish your Computer Engineering? I assume you are graduating soon.
It's better for you to have that degree first just in case physics is not for you in the future. In my view, you're wasting 4 years, not one.
Think about your parents disappointment of forking out 4 years of tuition fees and other supports.
You can do a second degree or Masters in Physics. Think about it carefully.

karenlau said:
Why don't you finish your Computer Engineering? I assume you are graduating soon.
It's better for you to have that degree first just in case physics is not for you in the future. In my view, you're wasting 4 years, not one.
Think about your parents disappointment of forking out 4 years of tuition fees and other supports.
You can do a second degree or Masters in Physics. Think about it carefully.

The thing is that I'm not graduating in the next three years (I'm that behind). Also, I'm the one that's paying for my studies, so the burden's on me either way. I'd be entering to only a year and a half span of studies if I do go into Physics, as most of the classes up to the third year, I have passed. The engineering program where I study (UPRM) is pretty huge (168 credits).

Good for you. I'm also struggling with engineering, having repeated courses and now repeating first year... I'm still not sure if engineering is my true passion either because I haven't seen any courses in my particular discipline (electrical) and I was also thinking of just doing physics (although this isn't really a solid idea yet).

Good luck to you!

it's really good ,it's your natural interest from experience,i think your sort of mind(like mine) will enjoy theorotical physics much as it is a studyof most fundamentals of nature
....good luck and have a nice journey through reality

Throatpoker said:
The thing is that I'm not graduating in the next three years (I'm that behind). Also, I'm the one that's paying for my studies, so the burden's on me either way. I'd be entering to only a year and a half span of studies if I do go into Physics, as most of the classes up to the third year, I have passed. The engineering program where I study (UPRM) is pretty huge (168 credits).
You've been in school 4 years and you have 3 to go? How have you not failed out? Three years is basically the entire engineering curriculum.

Yeah, good luck, but I'm not sure if what you are doing is going to work...

1. How can I overcome struggles in understanding complex physics concepts?

In order to overcome struggles in understanding complex physics concepts, it is important to break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks. This will allow you to focus on one concept at a time and fully grasp it before moving on to the next. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups, to supplement your learning and provide alternative explanations.

2. What can I do if I feel overwhelmed by the amount of math involved in physics?

If you feel overwhelmed by the amount of math involved in physics, it is important to remember that practice makes perfect. Dedicate time to regularly practicing and reviewing math concepts, and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to strengthen your understanding. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or join a study group to receive additional support and guidance.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing challenges in my pursuit of physics?

Staying motivated in the face of challenges can be tough, but it is important to remember your passion and love for physics. Remind yourself of why you chose this path and the exciting opportunities that lie ahead. Set small goals for yourself and celebrate your progress along the way. It can also be helpful to connect with others who share your love for physics and can provide support and encouragement.

4. What are some effective study techniques for mastering physics?

Effective study techniques for mastering physics include actively engaging with the material by taking notes, asking questions, and working through practice problems. It is also important to review material regularly and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning. Additionally, finding a study method that works best for you, whether it be flashcards, diagrams, or group discussions, can greatly aid in understanding and retaining complex concepts.

5. How can I use my struggles to become a better physicist?

Struggles are a natural part of the learning process and can actually help you become a better physicist. Embrace challenges as opportunities to improve and learn from mistakes. Reflect on your struggles and identify areas for improvement. Additionally, seek out mentors or peers who can provide guidance and support in your journey. Remember that perseverance and determination are key qualities for success in the field of physics.