After Graduation (2.8 GPA) Math Degree, What to expect?

• Programs
  • Thread starter WhollyBabble
  • Start date
MarneMath
Education Advisor
I don't want to kick a dead horse, but back when I was a young undergraduate, I was offered a job at DE Shaw. I went to an unknown school, but my main ability has always been to network. So I just want to put this out there:

If your method of finding a job is by looking online, you're limiting yourself. I heard once only 10% of all jobs are posted, the rest are created for individuals. Years after that initial offering, I have learn this to be a true statement. The key to finding a good job with less than stellar credentials is and has always been your ability to connect and build meaningful relationships. Tis all.

There are loads of places that would probably pick up a 2.8 math major for some kind of finance work, or at least that's my suspicion,
Can you list some names?

I think you’re half right. I think there are lots of financial firms that will hire a 2.8 GPA math major, but I think the jobs are all sales, and not what the OP has in mind at all.

The key to finding a good job with less than stellar credentials is and has always been your ability to connect and build meaningful relationships.
Makes me wish the forum had a "like" button for posts. I agree with this.

If your method of finding a job is by looking online, you're limiting yourself. I heard once only 10% of all jobs are posted, the rest are created for individuals. Years after that initial offering, I have learn this to be a true statement. The key to finding a good job with less than stellar credentials is and has always been your ability to connect and build meaningful relationships. Tis all.
I'm very aware of this, but I don't really have any connections outside of a few researchers/profs who can't do more for me other than write rec letters. My university doesn't have much of a career services department or internship programs, plus it is based outside the US where I don't expect to be living for long.

A sibling in the US who works in telecom industry has been forwarding my cv around a bit, but no interest so far.

The networking advice certainly holds for the OP though, PSU is a big name afaik and I would be surprised if job fairs weren't held there on a regular basis.