Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

After overcoming racism, Dr. Rice is finally confirmed

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    Dr. Rice gets more no votes than any nominee since 1825 says USA today. I guess its hard to let a Afrcian American women get the position. Personally I would be very happy if my little girl grew up with Dr. Rice as her role model I think is is the most qualified person in my life time and should run in 2008.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2
    That's nice that you are playing the race card for her. Of course, she didn't need it to get her last job...

4. Jan 27, 2005 #3
    It’s the only explanation unless she is not qualified if so what qualifications is she lacking or is it because she is a women. Would you consider her a great role model?

5. Jan 27, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Rice is obviously quite capable, and the fact the she is a woman and African-American is irrelevant.

I simply disagree with her positions, and mainly on Iraq and National Security, but I have these same disagreements with Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al.

Rice once mentioned that nothing could have been done to prevent the attacks on Sept 11.

An absolutely wrong and stupid statement. There were clearly two areas in which something could have been done and weren't - 1.) Airport security and 2) the policy that 'Absolutely no one gets into the cockpit. There was such a policy since the 1970's when various commercial aircraft were hijacked. But the US got complacent - and got caught off-guard.

A third area 3) national security was also addressed after the fact. No one in upper echelons of the Bush Administration were paying necessary attention to Al Qaida. Instead they were fixated on getting Saddam and invading Iraq.

6. Jan 27, 2005 #5
    Dr Rice is in fact better off being black and female and hispanic, as she appeals to each of these groups (they seem to prefer people who are the same as them). Also the europeans prefer her as they see her as being from some disadvantaged group of people.

7. Jan 27, 2005 #6
    Really? The only explanation is that she was voted against because of her race. Partisan politics, her role in her last job, the events of the world; none of these are candidates?

I'm not convinced, and neither should anyone else be.

8. Jan 27, 2005 #7

russ_watters

I'm a big fan of Condi Rice, but I don't buy the race card being a factor here either.

9. Jan 27, 2005 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Count me against the race explanation too. The committee pretended to grill her but really gave her an easy time. And if Rice had to face racism in her bid for Secretary of State, why didn't Powell, her predecessor, have to?

10. Jan 27, 2005 #9
    On the other hand, there is a certain truth to the title of this thread, even if I disagree with the content of the opening post. Growing up in Alabama (where I live) I can assure you she overcame her fair share of racism before reaching her status now.

Still, the presumption that she's got voted against for racial reasons to me seems highly unlikely, as there are myriad other ones that also deserve attention.

11. Jan 27, 2005 #10
    sorry but the racists all became republicans
    her no votes were based on her idiotoligy
    ie doing the bidding of the idiot in the whitehouse

12. Jan 27, 2005 #11

It had nothing to do with her being african american or a woman, it had a lot more to do with her being expressly accused of being a liar. And honestly, even i'm being brought around to believe that this administration has been lying. I certainly don't trust any of them anymore. The qualification that rice is lacking, in the eyes of liberals anyway, is honesty.

13. Jan 27, 2005 #12

kat

Umm yeh ray, that was a table cloth byrd used to wear not a sheet.
    Personally, I think any black nominee having to be questioned by an ex klansman can not be anything but describe as being subjected to racism...

14. Jan 27, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yawn...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2001/05/05/MN223743.DTL&type=printable

Condi? Simply the best that Chevron had to offer.

15. Jan 27, 2005 #14
    She is Doctor of what ?

16. Jan 27, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Jan 28, 2005 #16
    So she's just as qualified as my school counsellor then.

18. Jan 28, 2005 #17
    Got a beef with your counsellor too?

19. Jan 28, 2005 #18

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I am probably wrong, because all I hear about C. Rice is about how brilliant she is. Hey, they even have a PhD. on board :tongue: But I have to say that I'm not impressed by her knowledge of how to handle international politics.
    Now, did Dr. Rice foresee the course of events in Iraq, or not ?
    Is the actual situation over there within an error bar or two from what she, brilliant mind, had worked out in her plans, or was she a bit off mark ?

My guess is that Colin Powell had much much more insight in the matter. That's why she's replacing him now, no ?

20. Jan 28, 2005 #19

russ_watters

Your school counselor was a Stanford professor, Provost, CAO, and served on the board of directors of a dozen companies and other organizations? Impressive - what's he doing as a school counsellor?

21. Jan 28, 2005 #20
    He's batman, he has to keep his identity secret so he poses as a lowly school counsellor, no one would ever suspect a thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?