1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics After Physics BSc

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    First of all, I am sorry if this problem was discussed before, I haven't found it yet.

I have recently finished my Physics BSc, and now I am a Physics MSc student. My BSc was in Applied Physics, but in MSc, due to the small amount of people studying physics in my country, I can only study Theoretical Physics in MSc, which for me is etremely disappointing, since I have no intention in working in academia, or doing any kind of theoretical research. My love for physics are simply not enough for that.

I am thinking more and more about leaving the MSc, because I don't see that it would give me any advantage when I start to work, but I know, that a BSc degree is pretty worthless when it comes to applying for a job anywhere.

I am quite interested in engineering, and even more in business analyisis, but I don't know if these are reasonable aims for someone with a Physics BSc. I don't really want to start with a BSc again, it would take for too long, and another 5 ys (3+2) of studying and I am already 22. I simply can't afford that financially.

Some thoughts on Physicsist leaving for business field?

( one more thing. In my country there are simply too much people studying business-related stuff. Can a Physics background make me a better candidate for certain jobs, or is it a myth, that Pysicist are considered much better employees in business fields? )

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    If you are already with a physics degree...you probably have taken 75% of the classes that an engineer has to take as well as even more advanced math and physics. You would practically already be there

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    Why don't you try for an MS in engineering or business? If business is a flooded market, maybe engineering would be the better choice. Also, may I ask what country you are in?

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4
    Just out of curiosity, what type of undergraduate coursework is usually required to get into a MS engineering program? I'm graduating with a BS in physics, I can't find any info on what schools expect candidates to have taken beforehand...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook