Pursuing Post-PhD Ideas: What's Next?

• Programs
  • Thread starter handsomecat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's current situation as they are completing their PhD thesis. They have ideas for future work and are wondering about the usual course of action to pursue them. The usual route after finishing a PhD in academic research, particularly in the field of physics, is to get a postdoc position. However, the speaker's PhD will be awarded by the Mechanical Engineering department and their work is more focused on physics. This may put them in a bind as it is not directly related to engineering or close enough to physics. The next step would be to get a postdoc position to pursue their own ideas, but this may be difficult without prior experience and funding. There is a possibility of finding a postdoc position where
handsomecat
right now I'm in the midst of completing a PhD thesis. I have some ideas for future work that I'd like to see through if possible.

What would be the usual course of action? Right now I can see the following

(1) Sound out my supervisors about supporting me through these ideas

(2) Knock on the doors of other profs who could have an interest in these

(3) Join an institute where I can pursue these ideas

Any comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
What field are you in? In physics, in the USA at least, the usual route after finishing a Ph.D. if you want to stay in academic research, is to get a postdoc somewhere. And then maybe another, and another... until you either find a regular position, or give up and switch to another line of work.

What field am I in?

well, my PhD is going to be awarded by the Mechanical Engineering department. However my work is more on Physics as I'm doing DFT calculations and stuff ...

I cannot help but feel that I'm in some kind of a bind ... Its too far away from Engineering and not close enough to Physics...

The next step would -as jtbell has already pointed out- to get a postdoc position somwhere.
In order to pursue your own ideas you would need to get funding and that is almost impossible directly after a PhD, you need one or two postdocs first.
Of course you might get really lucky and find a postdoc where whoever is in charge is also interesten your ideas and has some "free" money that is not tied up in another project.

1. What are some options for pursuing post-PhD ideas?

Some options for pursuing post-PhD ideas include pursuing a postdoctoral research position, working in industry, starting your own research lab or consulting business, or pursuing a teaching career.

2. How can I find funding for my post-PhD ideas?

There are various sources of funding for post-PhD ideas, such as grants from government agencies, private foundations, and industry partnerships. Networking and building collaborations can also open up funding opportunities.

3. What are some tips for successfully transitioning from a PhD program to pursuing post-PhD ideas?

Some tips for successfully transitioning from a PhD program to pursuing post-PhD ideas include setting clear goals, networking and building connections, developing new skills and knowledge, and being open to new opportunities.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific career plan in mind before pursuing post-PhD ideas?

Having a specific career plan can be helpful, but it is not necessary. It is important to have a general idea of your interests and goals, but remaining open to new opportunities and being adaptable can also lead to success in pursuing post-PhD ideas.

5. Are there any challenges or obstacles to consider when pursuing post-PhD ideas?

Some challenges or obstacles to consider when pursuing post-PhD ideas include finding funding, navigating career options, and balancing work-life commitments. There may also be challenges in adapting to new environments and expectations, but with determination and perseverance, these challenges can be overcome.