Ways to Overcome Negative Signs in Math Problems | Expert Tips

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation is about the frustration of repeatedly making mistakes with negative signs in math problems. The person is seeking advice on how to improve their skills and avoid making these mistakes. One solution offered is to use a computer algebra system, while another suggests developing the habit of checking answers for accuracy. The conversation also briefly mentions the idea of creating an algebra solver, but it is dismissed due to the temptation to use it in the class.
Tyrion101
I'm getting tired of getting wrong answers and going back and doing them again and again only to find there's a negative sign in the problem I didn't see through the gigantic problem I just finished. If I were doing an actual classroom and not an online that doesn't allow shown work... I'd at least get partial credit, and it's freaking me out, because I'm beginning to wonder if I'll pass this class because of it. I've practiced and practiced and I just don't seem to see the signs when it matters, and I don't know what to do, and don't want to give up, any advice?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you making an extra effort to think before you write when you encounter a negative sign?

I try, but for whatever reason I just miss signs all together especially in certain places of problems. Maybe I need to spend tome not doing the problems and just spotting signs in the original?

Easy solution: Since you're doing this online, do all the calculations with a computer algebra system. No one will ever know.

Harder (but ultimately better) solution: Develop the habit that every time you finish a problem (and also in the middle when you reach a stopping point), you check whether the answer you got makes sense. It's very unusual to have a problem where you can't check the answer somehow. You don't have to be 100% accurate, just good enough.

Here's an example: Someone asks you to find ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty {x^n \over n}## for ##\left|x\right| < 1##. You do a bunch of work and come up with ##\log(1-x)##. Instead of just typing it in right away, try plugging in a number for ##x## to see if the answer makes sense. As it turns out, if ##x = 1/2##, this answer does not make sense, because it is negative, whereas all the terms in the sequence were positive. So something went wrong, and you can now go through your work to locate it.

Another example: You have to find the point where ##\log(u+1) - u^2## is maximized. After a bunch of work, you get the answer 1/2. As a sanity check, the derivative should be zero there. It isn't, so something went wrong -- who knows exactly what, but something.

You know I did think of writing an algebra solver, just for fun. But it'd be too tempting to use it in the class...

1. What do you mean by "stupid signs"?

By "stupid signs", I am referring to any signs or symbols that may be confusing, misleading, or irrelevant to the situation. These signs can often cause frustration or even harm to individuals if they are not clear or accurate.

2. How can signs be dangerous or deadly?

Signs can be dangerous or deadly if they provide incorrect information or lead individuals to make potentially harmful decisions. For example, a misleading road sign could cause a car accident or a confusing warning sign could lead to an injury.

3. Can you give an example of a "stupid sign"?

One example of a "stupid sign" would be a "Caution: Wet Floor" sign placed on a completely dry floor. This sign could cause individuals to be overly cautious and potentially cause a slip or fall.

4. Why is it important for signs to be clear and accurate?

Clear and accurate signs are important because they provide necessary information and guidance for individuals. This can help prevent accidents, reduce confusion, and promote overall safety.

5. Are there any solutions to prevent "stupid signs" from causing harm?

Yes, there are several solutions that can help prevent "stupid signs" from causing harm. These include conducting thorough research and testing before implementing a sign, using clear and concise language, and regularly reviewing and updating signs to ensure accuracy. Additionally, seeking feedback from individuals who use the signs can also help improve their effectiveness.