1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Again with the Kepler problem

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There must be something I'm totally missing here.

The situation is the following.

I am asked to show that given the lagrangian for the Kepler problem,

the k-th component of the Runge-Lenz vector,

is the conserved quantity associated (in the sense of Noether's thm) with the infinitesimal coordinate transformation [itex]\mathbf{q}\rightarrow\mathbf{q}+\delta \mathbf{q}[/itex], where [itex]\delta q_i = \epsilon(\dot{q}_iq_k-\frac{1}{2}q_i\dot{q}_k-\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{q}\cdot \mathbf{\dot{q}}\delta_{ik})[/itex], epsilon being the infinitesimal parameter.

Following Noether's theorem, I know that if [tex]\delta L=L(\mathbf{q}+\delta \mathbf{q}, \mathbf{\dot{q}}+\delta \mathbf{\dot{q}},t)-L(\mathbf{q},\mathbf{\dot{q}},t)[/itex] can be written as

[tex]\delta L=\epsilon \frac{d}{dt}\Lambda(\mathbf{q},\mathbf{\dot{q}},t)+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2)[/tex]

then the quantity

[tex]F_k:=\sum_{i=1}^3\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}(\dot{q}_iq_k-\frac{1}{2}q_i\dot{q}_k-\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{q}\cdot \mathbf{\dot{q}}\delta_{ik}) - \Lambda[/tex]

is conserved. By direct comparison of F_k with A_k I find that Lambda must be

[tex]\Lambda = \frac{q_k}{q}[/tex]

(also, this is confirmed by the wiki article on the Runge-Lenz vector: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runge-Lenz#Noether.27s_theorem )

So what remains to be done is to show by direct calculation that indeed,

[tex]\delta L=\epsilon \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{q_k}{q})+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2)[/tex]

So I expand [itex]\delta L[/itex]:

[tex]\delta L= \frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{\dot{q}}^2+2\mathbf{\dot{q}}\cdot \delta\mathbf{\dot{q}}+(\delta\mathbf{\dot{q}})^2)+(\mathbf{q}^2+2\mathbf{q}\cdot \delta\mathbf{q}+(\delta\mathbf{q})^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}-\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{\dot{q}}^2-(\mathbf{q}^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

And here I find it impossible to put this in a form [itex]\delta L=\epsilon A+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2)[/itex] because of all these guys in the numerator and shielded by a square root. I have also tried "cheating", i.e. say "since epsilon is arbitrarily small, I can neglect this and this term" but nothing even comes close to the form I want.

So I concluded that there must be something fundamentally flawed about the reasoning laid above. Anyone sees?

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I would appreciate feedbacks, so that if I get a few feedbacks that the above is right, I will post more of my work so we can find where I'm going wrong.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Solved, thanks. Turns out I had the right answer but in an hostile form that made it difficult to recognize.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?