Against solipsism - a form of idealism

• Thread starter Ferris_bg
  • Start date
I'm not having a problem understanding it, I'm having a problem with the assumption that a solipsist must be or is likely to be omnipotent.
But, a solipsist must be omnipotent. There is no other way.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
But, a solipsist must be omnipotent. There is no other way.
Why is there no other way? I have seen this assertion but I don't see any evidence or good arguments for it.

Here's a proposition where that is not true;

A universe begins, thanks to the fundamental physical laws of that universe all the matter collapses into a brain. In this universe necessary nutrient molecules pop into existence when required, the sensory parts of this brain are also stimulated. It just so happens that this random popping in of molecules and excitement of sensory regions makes the brain experience a world like ours. In fact, you are this brain.

You see? This is a non-omnipotent solipsist universe formed by a natural brain-in-a-vat.

Why is there no other way? I have seen this assertion but I don't see any evidence or good arguments for it.
There is no evidence for or against it. It's merely a bad epistemological/ontological theory.

Here's a proposition where that is not true;

A universe begins, thanks to the fundamental physical laws of that universe all the matter collapses into a brain. In this universe necessary nutrient molecules pop into existence when required, the sensory parts of this brain are also stimulated. It just so happens that this random popping in of molecules and excitement of sensory regions makes the brain experience a world like ours. In fact, you are this brain.

You see? This is a non-omnipotent solipsist universe formed by a natural brain-in-a-vat.
Why is it a proposition? How can you determine it's truth value?

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
pending moderation