Age & Job Opportunity: Advice for Young Professionals

• Thread starter lonatico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Job
In summary: So, your worries are totally valid, but I don't think they will stop you from doing what you want to do.In summary, Luke is 20 years old and is considering changing his course of study to Engineer to avoid being too old when he enters the workforce. He is worried that he will not be able to find a job if he does this, but he is reassured by his dad that he is still young.
lonatico
Hey guys,

It is my first post here. I found this forum while looking for information, and it seems like a good place to learn all kinds of subjects. I'm from Brazil, and looking for some hints or guidance on career, Job and education. Reality may be different on your countries, but still, any help is welcomed.

So, first of all, I'm studying Computer Science at The moment, although I'm not sure this is what I really want to do for living. I'm thinking about changing course to Engineer.

My problem comes when I think in terms of age, I'm 20 years old, and I'm afraid that if I change course I'll be entering in a job too old (its a 5 Years course here in Brazil), and that it will be harder to get a job, and I want to take an exchange program and go abroad to study for one or two Years.

My dad says I'm young, but I don't know, I'm kind of worried...

Physics news on Phys.org
Make your choice now, at 20. It gets progressively harder to start over in most professions at 30 or 40. Right now, your main responsibilities are going to school; as you age, other things will happen in your life, which restrict your options. You might find yourself having to care for an elderly parent or two; you might have a wife and kids to look out for, etc. Even if you have just started school at 20, I don't see employers unwilling to hire a newly minted CS graduate who is 25.

Im sorry taking so long to answer, but it has been a crazy week for me.

Well, what you said is true, but how hard is to get into jobs being older, Luke 27~28 Years old?

PS: I've never worked, and in college i would only be able to work as internship.

I can't tell you anything Brazil-specific, but in general, employers care about skills and experience more than physical age. When you approach retirement age (ie. older than about 55) it becomes more difficult to start a new career because you have to fight unspoken assumptions (like you're unwilling to learn, or you're looking for a position to coast through until you hit retirement).

It might help to consider your age as a selling point. Unspoken assumptions about folks in their early twenties may include notions that they will party a lot, or that they may not take the new position seriously. With a few more years under your belt, you could be seen as a little more mature and more serious. Generally though my experience has been that no one really notices an age difference between early and late twenties when it comes to hiring decisions.

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations on pursuing a degree in Computer Science! It is a valuable and in-demand field, and I applaud your ambition to seek guidance and advice on your career path.

I can assure you that age should not be a limiting factor in your job opportunities. While it is true that some industries may have a preference for younger employees, this is not always the case. In fact, many companies value diversity in age and experience, and may even have programs specifically for young professionals.

Furthermore, changing your course of study at a young age is not uncommon. It is important to find a field that you are truly passionate about and will enjoy working in for the long term. If you feel that Engineering is a better fit for you, then I encourage you to pursue it. Your age should not hold you back from reaching your career goals.

Regarding your concerns about taking an exchange program and studying abroad, I believe it would be a valuable experience for your personal and professional growth. It shows that you are adaptable, open to new cultures, and willing to learn. These are all qualities that employers look for in potential candidates.

My advice to you would be to focus on your education and gaining relevant skills and experience in your chosen field. Age should not be a barrier to your success, and it is never too late to pursue your passions. Keep an open mind, be willing to learn and adapt, and I am confident that you will have many job opportunities in your future.

Best of luck to you in your studies and future career endeavors.

Sincerely,

1. How does age impact job opportunities for young professionals?

Age can impact job opportunities for young professionals in a few ways. Some employers may have age preferences or biases, which can limit opportunities for younger individuals. Additionally, younger professionals may have less experience or a shorter work history, making it more difficult for them to compete with more experienced candidates. However, age should not be a determining factor in job opportunities, as skills, qualifications, and potential are more important factors for employers to consider.

2. What advice do you have for young professionals facing age-related challenges in the job market?

It is important for young professionals to focus on their strengths, skills, and qualifications when applying for jobs. They should also be open to gaining experience through internships, volunteer work, or entry-level positions to build their resume. Networking and building relationships with professionals in their field can also help overcome age-related challenges by showcasing their potential and making valuable connections.

3. Is it better for young professionals to seek out entry-level positions or aim for higher-level roles?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on the individual's career goals and personal circumstances. Some young professionals may have the qualifications and skills to apply for higher-level roles, while others may benefit from gaining experience through entry-level positions. It is important for young professionals to carefully consider their options and make choices that align with their long-term career goals.

4. How can young professionals make themselves more marketable to employers?

There are a few ways for young professionals to make themselves more marketable to employers. Firstly, they should continuously work on developing their skills and gaining experience through internships, volunteer work, or part-time jobs. Secondly, networking and building relationships with professionals in their field can help them gain insight into the job market and make valuable connections. Lastly, having a strong online presence, such as a professional LinkedIn profile, can also make a young professional more marketable to employers.

5. Are there any industries or fields that are more welcoming to young professionals?

It is difficult to generalize which industries or fields are more welcoming to young professionals, as it ultimately depends on the company culture and specific job opportunities. However, industries that are constantly evolving and require new ideas and perspectives, such as technology or entrepreneurship, may be more open to hiring young professionals. It is important for young professionals to research different industries and companies to find a good fit for their skills and interests.