Starting PhD in US Universities at 27 - Is it Too Late?

• Programs
  • Thread starter iorfus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Phd
In summary: Is it too late?I mean, if you are not focused on an academic career, and you want to get a PhD to get the higher possible degree and then get a job that is somewhat related to physics (instead of attempting to get tenured). I've heard that US universities do not discriminate by age, so it shouldn't be a problem.
iorfus
Hi!
Is it possible to start a PhD in US universities when you are 27? Having a Master from a major university. Is it too late?

I mean, if you are not focused on an academic career, and you want to get a PhD to get the higher possible degree and then get a job that is somewhat related to physics (instead of attempting to get tenured).

I have heard that US universities do not discriminate by age. Does that mean that they are really not interested in the age of the applicant?

P.S. I am still 23, but I think I will spend next two years getting a Master from a major UK university. Then I suppose I should use one year for GRE before applications. So I would apply when I am 26.

Thanks for any opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
This shouldn't be a problem. I know many graduate students in the US who are significantly older than this, and it is against the law for US universities to discriminate on account of age.

yes, that is how old I was went I went back for my PhD

iorfus said:
Is it possible to start a PhD in US universities when you are 27?

Ph.D. practices vary wildly from field to field. In some fields (education) it's standard to start a Ph.D. in your 30's or 40's.

Now, in physics in the United States most people go straight into a joint masters/doctoral straight out of undergraduate.

I have heard that US universities do not discriminate by age. Does that mean that they are really not interested in the age of the applicant?

I don't think they care. The big barriers aren't the admissions committees but rather lifestyle issues (it's easier to live on ramen if you are unattached and have no kids). I don't think 23 versus 27 is going to make a difference here.

I will finish my Physics BS right near turning 32 (graduation is generally around my birthday) and whenever I bring up my age with my adviser and professors (one of which is my age...): they say that the maturity and experience that I bring with my age can be a boon. They are not the least bit pessimistic about my getting a PhD because of my age.

If you take a peek around the forums - there are quite a few others taking the 'non traditional' track towards a PhD.

Thanks for the numerous answers !

iorfus said:
Hi!
P.S. I am still 23, but I think I will spend next two years getting a Master from a major UK university. Then I suppose I should use one year for GRE before applications. So I would apply when I am 26.

Why would you need to devote an entire year for the GRE exam? You should take a look at some past papers now and see how much of it you can do already. Also, if your Masters is taking two years does this mean you are doing it part time?

Thanks for advice!
Actually this year I am going to follow the last year of a 4-year degree this year, and I hope I will be admitted to a MPhil next year.

I have no research experience(it is almost the rule for undergraduater student in my country), so I am planning to do research in the second year at the UK institution I am enrolling at through the MPhil degree.

My mother tongue is not English so I think I would need more time to prepare for the GRE generale. RE PGRE, I think I would need a high score and I am a perfectionist I couldn't take it with a preparation of a few months while I am studying full time. This is just my current plan however.

iorfus said:
Thanks for advice!
Actually this year I am going to follow the last year of a 4-year degree this year, and I hope I will be admitted to a MPhil next year.

I have no research experience(it is almost the rule for undergraduater student in my country), so I am planning to do research in the second year at the UK institution I am enrolling at through the MPhil degree.

My mother tongue is not English so I think I would need more time to prepare for the GRE generale. RE PGRE, I think I would need a high score and I am a perfectionist I couldn't take it with a preparation of a few months while I am studying full time. This is just my current plan however.

Oh, I know this particular course, and it is a route that I would very much like to take in the future. I'm interested in how U.S universities would view these particular qualifications since a masters is usually included in a graduate course.
Also I'm interested to know if it's possible to complete a PhD in less time (in the U.S) having done a masters like this.

iorfus said:
Hi!
Is it possible to start a PhD in US universities when you are 27? Having a Master from a major university. Is it too late?

lol.. I went back for my PhD at an early 27 and I only had a bachelor's degree. I did have a fair amount of graduate classes completed but they didn't count towards my PhD except for the fact that some professors let me into their classes without having to take the formal prerequisites.

Started mine at 28. Only had a bachelor's + 6 years working experience. It's a bit of a transition, people that have been in academia for too long are kind of strange sometimes.

1. Is 27 years old considered too old to begin a PhD program in the US?

No, 27 years old is not considered too old to start a PhD program in the US. Many students begin their PhD studies in their late 20s or even in their 30s. Age is not a determining factor in the admissions process, and what matters most is your academic background and potential for research.

2. Will starting a PhD program at 27 put me at a disadvantage compared to younger students?

No, starting a PhD program at 27 will not put you at a disadvantage compared to younger students. In fact, your life experiences and maturity may give you an advantage in your studies and research. Admissions committees look for a diverse range of backgrounds and perspectives in their PhD candidates.

3. Will I be able to catch up with my younger peers who have already started their PhD programs?

Yes, you will be able to catch up with your younger peers who have already started their PhD programs. PhD programs are designed to be completed in 4-6 years, and all students progress through the same coursework and research milestones. Your age will not affect your ability to succeed and excel in your studies.

4. Are there any specific challenges that I may face as an older PhD student?

As an older PhD student, you may face some challenges such as balancing your academic responsibilities with other life commitments, adapting to a new learning environment, and building relationships with younger peers. However, these challenges can be managed with good time management, communication, and support from your academic advisors and peers.

5. Will my age affect my job prospects after completing my PhD?

No, your age will not affect your job prospects after completing your PhD. Employers value the skills, knowledge, and research experience gained during a PhD program, regardless of the age of the candidate. Your age may even be seen as an advantage as it demonstrates your dedication and commitment to your studies.